relays

RivVrgn

I have a few questions about relays. First, iv'e seen different relays offered different places that look the same with the same type and or number of connections, but with different part numbers. Is a relay a relay as long as the connectors are the same?

My second Q. My headlights on my 65 can open without the key on, I was told this was the way the early cars worked until they added another relay. Well I think I have two headlight relays ( both located side beside on the fenderwell). Do I have the right info and are both of these H L relays? Sorry no pics, i'm detailing engine compartment and stuff is apart.

thanks, Joey #12735

Hi Joey,

A relay can be wired any number of ways internally so the guideline you suggest is not a sure fire way to go about shopping.

The info you have regarding the `65 system is close but incorrect. Very early in the production run Buick added an auxillary relay in the headlight system to remove power from the system in the CLOSING cycle. So, the key must be in the ON position for the headlight motor to close the clamshells. They will OPEN no matter what the key position.

If you have 2 relays behind the battery you have the updated relay system.

The 4 prong relay should still be available thru Delco. Just ask your counterman for a high blower relay for a `70 Buick.

The 3 prong relay, which is the auxillary relay, has been unobtanium for years but occasionally come up for auction on Ebay. Try disassembling yours and cleaning the contact points. Be sure both relays are mounted clean and tight as this provides their path to ground.

Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

Thanks Tom great info as usual. My relays work, just wondered about the two.

So the relays are servicable? just clean the contacts huh. ok. I've seen some around on E-bay and OPG and the Cars site, HL, blower motor ect. I think OPG has both HL relays one about 15 and the other one about 60 ( i'm sure the 60 bucks is probably the aux).

Like I said just sprucing things up and updating, looks like everything underhood is OE. Replacing the little things that might go south before they do. If I can service them I might just do that and hit them with some paint.

thanks again Joey