63-65 Floor pan patch vs replacement

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I've got some significant rust in the seat mounts on my '64 Riviera. I've got at least a passengers floor pan and might have a whole floor available to me. Since the rust is largely located in the ends of the cross braces and a section right in line with the rear front seat mounts, is it better to piece patches out of floor sections or to get a whole floor and do gross replacement?

Advice?

Guest REX STALLION

The cross braces are the hard part if they are rusted out ,you will have to fabricate new ones . I have been in the process of repairing the floors of my `64 for a while now, My son prefers to leave as much original metal as possible, while I like to replace the whole floor. We have done the front floors and toe boards as well as the rear panels under the seats. I purchased a pristine trunk section just in case the trunk was pooched...good thing too,the cross braces and body mounts are rough in the trunk area and the trunk floor is nasty. GM had a poor design for mounting glass in the day, the clips rusted out allowing water to enter the trunk and backseat area.My glass is sealed with urethane now so hopefully no more leaks. Good luck , rust repair is not the best part of restoration but you feel way better when it`s done

Guest Roostriz

I think that it comes down to preferance. I am by no means a body man but I do know some guys try to patch along the factory seams. I am in the same boat as you with the floors and supports. Ugghh

Guest REX STALLION

When we (my son and I) started repairing the floors in my `64 we ran int a few issues, rusted inner rockers,rusted bracing as well as the floors. A big job to be sure. The biggest challenge was the curved bracing along side the wheel wells , it curves on two planes . We formed up one using a wood buck and the other we used the existing brace as a pattern. Both worked well. This was the most difficult repair but now that it is behind us,I am proud of the solid repairs we have accomplished. With a new trunk section coming up, I will be happy to be done this part of our rebuild. Too bad none of the work will be seen.