1990 Reatta Convertible, 25,563 original miles

Matt Harwood

I thought I would give my friends on the Buick forums the first crack at this one before it goes public elsewhere (it’s not even on our own website yet). I will have more than 60 photos of this car on our website by early next week. You can see it at Vintage Motor Cars Ohio.

Thanks for looking and please drop me a line if you have any questions. Happy New Year!

This 1990 Reatta convertible is from the estate of a well-known collector, and many of you might know his name if I mentioned it (no, not John O'Quinn). It is possible that he was the original owner, and if not, he purchased the car when it was still relatively new and was the second owner. It spent a majority of its life in Florida and with 25,563 original miles, was obviously never a daily driver. If I had to guess, based on the condition of the undercarriage, I would say it spent perhaps its first winter here in Ohio, then retired to Florida until the owner passed away a few years ago. The owner’s son brought it back to Ohio after his death and has used it sparingly on sunny days in the summer.

Paint is as good as factory paint can be, with no signs of accident damage or paint work anywhere, and obviously no rust. Garaged its entire life, there is no fading or chalkiness, and we recently had it professionally detailed inside and out. Windows, lenses, folding headlights, etc. are all fully functional and intact with no wear or damage. The only notable damage is a scuff to the body molding on the driver’s side front bumper corner (you know, the same place we all eventually bump into the garage door frame), and a similar scuff on the passenger’s side mirror. We’ve done our best to buff them out and photos of these areas are attached.

The top is the original white vinyl top in excellent condition. I’m guessing that it spent a majority of its life with the top stored in the folded position, so it has some wrinkling that will probably work itself out in time—it’s incredibly tight and I’m guessing that we are the first to put the top up and latch it to both the windshield and rear deck in quite some time. However, everything latches properly and secures snugly and the top fits well. The only notable damage is to the piping below the rear window at the rear deck, where it appears that someone tried to force the top into the well without first folding it properly. Photos are attached.

The burgundy leather interior is 100% original and has wear that is appropriate to the mileage. The flash used in the photos seems to magnify the wrinkles in the leather—it looks far better in person and wear is minimal. There are no splits or tears and nothing that I would consider “damage.” Door panels, console, dash and other soft parts are excellent. Includes factory floor mats in excellent condition. Never smoked in—ashtray is as-new. The only notable damage is the airbag cover where one of the horn buttons is missing. Climate control system is functional, although the “Service A/C” light periodically comes on, and I presume this means that refrigerant levels are low. This will be rectified before the car ships to its new owner. Stereo system with CD is operational, as is the power antenna. Seats, windows, and locks work properly. Trunk is as-new and unmarked.

Engine is untouched and likely still carries its original spark plugs, wires, hoses and belts. Starts instantly and idles and drives as it should. Even the exhaust system is 100% original and intact with no leaks or noises. Battery is a newer replacement unit, but that’s the only non-OEM component in the engine bay. Brake service history is unknown, but I would not be surprised to find all original pads and rotors. ABS cycles properly, however, and brakes are firm and stop the car as they should. Transmission shifts properly and CV joints are undamaged and silent. All decals and factory markings are intact, and there are few signs of age or corrosion on any of the bare metal components.

Wheels are original alloys in unmarked condition, although corrosion is starting to creep under the clearcoat on two of them. No curb rash or damage, however, and all four centercaps are in excellent condition. Three of the tires are the original Goodyear Eagle GT+4s, although a flat tire last summer when the owner’s son was driving it necessitated a modern replacement (GT+4s are no longer available). New tires will be installed at the discretion of the new owner, just in case he wishes to preserve the original Goodyears for preservation class judging. I estimate their tread remaining at 30-40%.

Sadly, it appears that all the Reatta-specific paperwork, accessories and manuals are missing. Two sets of original keys and two remote key fobs are included, and I suspect that they merely need new batteries to be fully functional.

Overall, this is an extremely well-preserved car that has always been treated like it’s special. Given the market for these cars, I think it’s priced fairly at $12,900.

Year: 1990

Convertible

Mileage: 25,563

Considered Correct? Yes.

Title: Clear

Any Accident History? (N) Never in an accident

Asking Price: $12,900

Willing to take trade (Yes)

Exterior Color: White/white vinyl top

Interior Color: Burgundy Leather

Paint Original? Yes

Paint Condition? (Excellent)

Belt & Bumper Molding Color: (Black)

Body Dents: No

Body Rust: No

Windshield Chipped or Cracked? No

Vent Glass Intact? Yes

Rubber surround molding for windshield condition? Excellent

Out Side Mirrors Intact? Yes (passenger side mirror scuffed)

Headlight Motors Function Correctly? Yes

Tail Light Lens: Clear

Convertible Top Material: Vinyl

Convertible Top Color? White

Convertible Top Condition? Good

Please describe any flaws or problems with the convertible top.

Minor wear to piping at rear deck below rear window. Have photos.

Interior Original? Yes

16 Way Seats? Yes

Works Yes

Seat Condition? Good—wear appropriate to mileage.

Drivers interior door panel condition? Excellent

Passengers interior door panel condition? Excellent

Center console top armrest condition? Excellent

Door weather stripping condition? Excellent

Headliner Condition? Excellent

Carpet Condition? Excellent

Original Floor Mats: Yes

Floor Mat Condition: Excellent

Condition of Steering Wheel Leather: Leather is excellent, one horn button missing.

Functional Keyless Entry? Yes, remotes need batteries.

Both Remotes? Yes

Problems with Electronic Dash items? No.

Power Windows Work Correctly? Yes.

Power Seats Work Correctly? Yes.

Power Door Locks Work Correctly? Yes.

Power Antenna Work Correctly? Yes.

Original Sound System? Yes.

Factory CD Player? (90-91 only) Yes.

Sound System Fully Functional? Yes.

Aftermarket Sound System Equipment? No.

A/C Functional? No.

If N describe problem: Appears to need a recharge. Will be repaired prior to delivery to new owner.

Has the A/C been converted from R12 to R134A? No.

Does the suspension require any attention? No.

Tire Brand: Goodyear Eagle GT+4

Remaining Tread: 30%

Are All Tires Matched? No. One new tire.

Factory Wheels? Yes.

Two wheels show slight signs of corrosion under the clearcoat. No curb rash or damage, just age.

Factory Wheel Center Caps Condition: Excellent

Missing Caps? All present.

Any Brake Components Replaced? No. Likely still has original brake pads and rotors.

Last Time Brake System Was Flushed? Unknown.

Original Engine? Yes.

Does Engine require attention? No.

When was last tune up? Unknown, but not necessary.

Does the engine, cooling system, power steering, or brake system leak any fluids? No.

How often do you change the oil? Unknown, but car has been extremely well maintained.

Original Transmission? Yes.

Does Transmission require attention? No.

When was last Transmission Service? Unknown.

Any Transmission Leaks? No.

Have CV joints been replaced? No.

I have no receipts for this vehicle's service history.

Does the car have the owners manual portfolio? No.

In General, What items need attention? A/C recharge to be addressed before the car is shipped to the new owner.

This Reatta Drives: Excellent

Contact Me at 216-849-5263 or email me at

matt@vintagemotorcarsohio.com.

132046-001a_original.jpg

132046-002a_original.jpg

132046-006a_original.jpg

132046-018a_original.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)