Antenna question

Tom_Overfield

Hi Folks,

Between shoveling, plowing and blowing about 22 inches of snow here over the past three days I have a lot of time to work out final issues in the completion of my 41 LC. in my mind.

So I am installiing the antenna and for some reason cannot locate the original antenna wire. The end that plugs into the radio is like most and poses no problem. The end that attaches to the antenna is a ring type connector that attaches with a nut and washer.

The question is would anyone have one to sell or can anyone advise as how on would go about converting one end of a new antenna to the ring connector?

Thanks

Tom

Guest Jim_Edwards
Hi Folks,

Between shoveling, plowing and blowing about 22 inches of snow here over the past three days I have a lot of time to work out final issues in the completion of my 41 LC. in my mind.

So I am installiing the antenna and for some reason cannot locate the original antenna wire. The end that plugs into the radio is like most and poses no problem. The end that attaches to the antenna is a ring type connector that attaches with a nut and washer.

The question is would anyone have one to sell or can anyone advise as how on would go about converting one end of a new antenna to the ring connector?

Thanks

Tom

Going to sound like a smart ass, but what are you talking about? The connector that goes to the cable that sends the received signal to the radio or the power connector. Which of the two? In either case when you introduce something foreign to the original system you're likely to be changing the nature of the connectors involved and you're going to need to follow the instructions with the new antenna.

Jim

Ok,,,let me start over, This is a regular radio antenna, not power up or down or anything like that. SO it is just the antenna to recieve the radio signal.

It just has a small stud at the bottom of the antenna with a nut on the stud. The radio just takes the usual plug in connector. So what I am looking for is either an antenna with the ring on one end to attach to the antenna base, or a way to cut off the end of a regular antenna connector and solder on a ring connector. Is that clear or not?? I know what I am talking about but hard to describe properly I guess.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Ok,,,let me start over, This is a regular radio antenna, not power up or down or anything like that. SO it is just the antenna to recieve the radio signal.

It just has a small stud at the bottom of the antenna with a nut on the stud. The radio just takes the usual plug in connector. So what I am looking for is either an antenna with the ring on one end to attach to the antenna base, or a way to cut off the end of a regular antenna connector and solder on a ring connector. Is that clear or not?? I know what I am talking about but hard to describe properly I guess.

Okay so what you are attempting to do is to connect a common antenna to the cable that was originally mounted to the electric antenna and has a separate ground wire from the antenna cable shielding braid to some point on the body? Is that the case? If so I don't think it possible to do without cutting the original end off the cable and putting an end on it that will work with the new antenna. While I have an illustration of the '58 factory electric antenna I obviously have no way of knowing the exact nature of the common antenna. If you choose to cut the end off the cable if there is enough slack to to it back three or four inches I would do that so you'll have the correct end to put back if you repair the original power antenna or find a replacement. The alternate is to improvise an interfacing cable and cut nothing.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards

Tom disregard the part of the previous post referring to a '58 electric antenna. I've been having an exchange with someone dealing with that issue and I got your swap or installation all tangled up in the head. However, the remainder of the comment is probably more or less correct. Sorry about the confusion on my part.

Jim