Want to purchase a 1958 era Dauphine

Guest GotDauphine?

Guest GotDauphine?

I am looking to purchase a red 1958 (or similar year) red Renault Dauphine.

renaultdauphine.jpg

This car would mean alot to my Grandfather as this was the first car he owned and was the car he met my grandmother in. I am graduating high school soon and currently working in an amazing automotive shop where we have worked on anything from Desotos to DeLareans, a real amazing team of guys. I want a car that needs to be restored the right way. I would like it to be running (preferably), red, rust free/minimal rust repair (I can always weld), and something close to Arizona or California.

Any information is welcome and if you know somebody who has a project sitting around that needs a good home and working hands I'd be more than willing to take a shot. Christmas season is coming and it would be a great present for the wife to shed a project and sell it to a person who has good intentions for it.

Thank you and feel free to share any information you have.

my email tommie09@sbcglobal.net

Wow. This is water over the dam, but I went to an estate auction 3 summers ago that had three Dauphines- a black, a red, and a light green. They went cheap- as in $100 each.

'Course they were in Virginia which doesn't do you much good. I'm kinda afraid they ended up as scrap, but the same guy bought all three so maybe he was able to make one good one from the three.

I also found another light green one in a salvage yard north of Winston-Salem NC several years back.

Here's my tie to Renault & Peugeot. Mama's baby brother was stationed in France and Portugal in the Army in the late 50s, so he saw a lot of the funny French cars zooming around. He drove them and liked them, so when he came back Stateside, he ended up with a used red Dauphine and drove it for several years as daily transportation. Helped that he was an ace mechanic and could repair anything.

When my cousin was driving age, he bought her a Peugeot 404 sedan that she flat refused to drive to high school- until the boys found out it had a 4-speed and it was suddenly a cool car.

The Triumph-MG dealer here decided to get Peugeot and Renault franchises and since Buck was about the only guy around here who had any experience with French cars, he became the French car mechanic. He always had a Renault company car to drive, mainly because the dealer saw it as a good way to put the cars out in public. So I saw 10s, 12s, 16s and even one Gordini that the dealer campaigned at VIR when it was open the first time.