Auto dimmer

cobravii

My '64 Electra convertible has an auto headlamp dimmer "eye" mounted the dash near the base of the windshield.

I can't find any option list or wiring diagram showing this option. My dad bought the car new and said it was on there since new.

I am trying to find out if this was a factory option, a dealer option or an aftermarket add-on.

Thanks,

It was called GuideMatic headlight dimmer and was a factory option. I've also heard it called Autronic Eye - not sure if that was perhaps for other years or a more generic name or used on other brands or what.

I'm afraid I don't have any of the details you are looking for, but hopefully the name will help you find something more. Good luck.

Guest Silverghost

These Autronic eye units were far more common on Cadillac of the same vintage time. period.

I suspect it's original equipment !

Does it still function ?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they are right, Guidematic, and it is listed as option code X1 for the grand total of $43. If it works, it may take a bit to energize after not being on for a long time. Also, needs to have high beams on to work automatically, with adj. on the unit set somewhere in the middle, like straight up. Good luck.

Guest my3buicks

With my unit I need to depress the headlight dimmer switch part way to engage, I think they need to be on high beam first. I have the original directions if you need a copy. The work great on country roads and side roads, on the interstates the big highway signs reflect back and trick them and they can go crazy. It's a great option to have just for the cool factor though.

Guest my3buicks

Here is the original instruction hanger from the control knob - this way if your system is similar you will have exact correct instructions on how the system works.

post-30591-143138379899_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)