Fan belt alternative?

Guest 97welter

Guest 97welter

My belt just broke on my 26 Buick Standard. It was the original cloth type. I saw the leather replacement on Bobs Automobilia. Im still working on the car and dont want to spend the money on the new belt. Can I make one? Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help everyone.

I used my son's hand tooled leather belt in my 13 Buick. He made when he was in cub scouts & put his name on it along with other decorative stuff.

He was 23 when I asked him if I could use it & he thought it was a great use of it since it will always be in the family.... .

I got one of these from Mc Master Carr....

<TABLE class=GeneralInfoFrameworkTbl cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=giPresentationHd colSpan=8><TABLE class=PrsnttnHdrTbl cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=PrsnttnHdrNm align=middle>About Conveyor Belt Lacing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="10%" colSpan=2></TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="21%" align=right><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=middle><TABLE class=giImage><TBODY><TR><TD>

ga20as.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Hammer-In Alligator</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=bottom width="20%" align=right><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=middle><TABLE class=giImage><TBODY><TR><TD>

ga20bs.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My 24-47 came with a tie, as the belt broke on the way. The new belt has a nasty tear, so I will replace it, using a thick leather (throusers) belt. Just be sure it overlaps the right way (the butt not bumping against the wheels, but gliding over them) and sew them together like the sails of a ship. If you make the perforations in advance (sharp needle or a nail) it can easily be done.

Success, Lex

Guest Silverghost

Are the reproduction belts really that costly ?

How much are they ?

Why wreck an engine because some bootleg belt breaks and your engine overheats ?

Your engine is worth far more than the cost of a repro belt~~~