Fuel vacuum tank on 26 Buick

Guest 97welter

Guest 97welter

How hard is it to rebuild the fuel vacuum tank on a 26 Buick Standard? I saw the kit on Bobs Automobilia. Looks like just a cork gasket, 2 copper rings?, 2 springs, and screws. Is that all that is needed? Is there a diaphragm inside too?

No. It is actually quite simple. The only real rebuild is to remove all the rust particles, fuel varnish, and clean the screen at the bottom. Then seal the under side of the pot metal lid with Krazy Glue or other gas proof sealer before re-assembly. The only part you should need is a new gasket.

I refurbished the tank on my 24 Buick in about an hour at the BCA Meet in Rochester MN. I had to do it twice because the first tank of gas cleaned the fuel lines and plugged the internal screen again. My buddy Rob couldn't believe it actually worked after the first cleaning.

I second what Mark says. But here are things I always check for when I open one up.

When removing the top, pull straight up. There is a long prong that goes into the base, sometimes they get bent and can bind messing up fuel delivery. Make sure the prong is straight and slides easily into the base. Do not mess up the end, which is usually pointed.

Check for debris and varnish in both tanks, clean, scrape, sand and blow out any debris.

Check the operation of the switch, and springs. Make sure everything operates smoothly. New springs are available and are a good investment.

Shake the float, make sure there is no fuel in it.

Check the two tanks closely, make sure there are no rust holes forming. You can repair holes with JBWeld. Folks also sometimes seal the tanks with gas tank paint/sealer if rust is present.

I use Permatex 2 to seal the cork gasket to the tanks.

I have never had a tank fail me for mechanical reasons, problems are usually rust and dirt collecting in the bottom of the tanks.