Rebuilding Brakes on my 40 Buick, what should I do?

Guest 40 Buick 51c

Guest 40 Buick 51c

My Buick has been parked in the garage since about 1985. I have pulled the front brake drums and the master cylinder. The wheel cylinders are so corroded that I can't even get them apart and the master cylinder looks like it might be able to be honed and salvaged. I looked in the Bob's Automobilia catalogue and saw that there are two options:

a) have the wheel cylinders resleeved

B) buy the replacement cylinders that may need adaptors.

Also, have seen a replacement master cylinder for a 40 Buick on Ebay. Has any tried one of these? Should I go ahead and replace the brake lines or just attempt to flush the ones that are there? Lot's of questions. What do y'all think?

Guest Grant Magrath

I agree.

Get them sleeved, brass is good. So is stainless. But have a look on eBay for replacement cylinders. We bought a pair of replacements for our 39 coupe, and they bolted straight in. Hard to say with brake lines. I've seen complete kits for sale on eBay for a reasonable price. I don't know what the quality is like though.

Definately replace the rubber lines. Two up front, and one to the rears. If the steel lines look rusty, replace them as well. I went with Silicone brake fluid, since it does not draw moisture like regular brake fluid does, and is friendly toward everything (except maybe your brake switch).

If you buy NOS wheel cylinders on-line, get a new rebuild kit to get fresh rubber seals. Don't trust the old, aged rubber. New kits should still be available over the counter at your local parts store. Just have them look up an early fifties Buick and verify the diameters are the same. My '38 had 1 1/8 inch up front, and 1 inch in the rear, if I recall correctly. So did the oldest Buick listed at Advance Auto, which was a '52 or something.

Have fun. Sweet car.

Guest 40 Buick 51c

Thanks Jeff,

Already have the new rubber lines purchased. If I don't replace the steel lines and I go to synthetic is there something special I need to flush them with? Have heard that all traces of the old brake fluid need to be removed?

Thanks, Darryll