What color was the suede?

Guest wildcat465

Guest wildcat465

Maybe some of you out there remember buying one new or maybe sold these cars then. I am afraid that in 1984 I just got my license and was lucky enough to have scored a 70 GS455 ragtop to bomb around in. But, a new Riv was way to much money for me to even consider looking at.

I have removed the interior on the 84 T-Type so I can get it redone. All of the Rivs I see with the leather with suede inserts, the suede appears to be a lighter color than the leather surrounding it.

Now that I have removed all of the seats, and I can now see the suede that has been tucked under. It looks to me that the suede insert may have been almost, if not the same color as the dark briar leather.

So...

Is this dirt giving me a false impression?

Was the suede actually a match to the leather rather than a UV faded complement that we now all see?

Am I drinking too much and need to sober up?

Guest wildcat465
All of the Rivs I see with the leather with suede inserts, the suede appears to be a lighter color than the leather surrounding it.

So that means it is not lighter, but darker?

My leather is dark brown, and the suede needs to be almost black?

I am more confused now.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

No doubt it faded some but the suede insert is a lighter brown then the smooth leather and I would recommend getting period literature which clearly shows the suede is lighter tan vs. darker smooth leather.

I think you should go somewhere in between. Get a suede replacement that is darker then what you have but not the same as what you see covered up.

Also, recall that all leather is going to be different shades, not all a match. Replicating the texture, stitching etc would authenticate it more then a slight color or shade variation. In my opinion.

Nathaniel,

I saw the car you reference on the Site Mash, Dallas I believe. That was an 84 with low mileage, totally different seats, very interesting.