How to ID a 425 Engine on a 65 Gran Sport?

Guest Rob J

Hi all, I'm looking at a claimed 65 Riv Gran Sport. I know it is supposed to be an LX code engine. My question is, does anybody have pics as to where I would find the stampings on the engine block to properly ID it. I need to know where to look for it. I've been told it is in the general area close to the T-stat water housing, just not sure where. Pic's of the Stampings on a 65 425 Dual Quad would be nice.

Thanks.

Here's a link to the Teambuick.com site that shows where you find the numbers.

Team Buick

As well as the LX stamping, you should use the engine code to confirm that the engine and body numbers match. Still not a confirmation that the car is a Gran Sport; it could be one of the really rare 454 '65 Rivs that were not Gran Sports but came with the LX engine.

For more information on identifying a Gran Sport, check the article on the ROA's website.

Riviera Owners Association - Gran Sport

Ed

Thanks Ed. Yes, I am going to have the person who is checking out this car for me check the ID tag on the Transmission, which in my research should have a "BS" tag on it, and I'm going to have him check the Rear End, which in my research should be a 3.42 Posi Rear End with a PY on the tag. Hopefully I've got my info straight, and hopefully he'll be able to get under the car to find these tags on the tranny and rear end. I am also going to have him check the numbers on the carbs to make sure it has the correct carbs.

Are there any other crucial elements to check to ID a Gran Sport? I've read the article over on the ROV, on how to ID a Gran Sport. My big concern is, this car does not have the glove box plate that says Riviera Gran Sport. It only has the standard Riviera by Buick plate. I guess checking out the numbers on the tranny and rear will tell the story, or as you stated, it could be one of those 400+ cars with just the Dual Quad 425 engine.

Thanks, Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nickdaytona

Having " one of those" Rivieras with the LX engine, I am curious to find out what type of transmission and rear end is in it. Would the identiplate tell the story or am i crawling ?;)

You're crawlin'. The ID plate on the firewall was a list of modifications (screw holes, brackets, etc.) that the workers in the Fisher Body plant made to the base body so other options could be added once the car got to the final assembly line.

Your chassis, engine, and transmission were assembled elsewhere then finally married up in final assembly.

As long as your down there, look at the springs and see if there are any paper tags left on them. If so, get the part numbers off of them - another difference between the Gran Sport and the base Riviera.

Guest nickdaytona

Well, it looks like I truly have a heinz 57 with matching numbers. I checked the block I.D. today and its an LT !! So i have a 401 with dual quads? Thats definitely not factory. Couldn't find any tags on the tranny or diff- kinda crusty.

Doesn't diminish my enthusiasm for owning it though !!

Sorry to hear you didn't have an LX block. The tag on the tranny is on the passenger side. The diff has a stamping on the carrier flange. I don't believe the diff''s had tags, just stampings. Look for an O with an X in it. The X indicates it is a Posi diff. You should also see the ratio stamped on it. At least this is what my research has told me.

See this post for a pic of the Tranny tag. http://forums.aaca.org/f177/where-id-tag-sup-tur-th-293096.html