Body Panel padding

Guest zazothex

Guest zazothex

Two questions each about body sheet metal:

1. Is there a good source book for diagrams / listings of panels and numbers? I have the Chassis book, but they don't have body listings. I'd like to be able to look up which sections I can swap from my '46 sedan to my '48 LC connie and just be able to see what the pre-rust body parts looked like.

2. What is everyone using for the padding that's between panels? I'm in the process of fabbing up a new spare tire support plate bracket (riveted alongside the rear section, perpendicular to trunk bottom) and the pieces seem to be sandwiched to the main sheet by a thick (1/8"+) layer of what looks like fiberous tarpaper. I've noticed this other places around the rear body and want to make sure I get the thickness and application right.

• 2 weeks later...

Earle Brown can supply the body parts book, but there are almost no body sections that are common to both the sedans and the Continentals. Some sections could be used like the rear fenders and perhaps the floor pan with modifications. Lebaron Bonney can supply the waffle pattern sheeting in 2 thicknesses including 1/8".