1991 Buick Riviera Sunroof issue

Guest bschott

Guest bschott

I have never had problems with this sunroof before so this has me befuddled.

I was driving my Riviera recently when the engine just died. I pulled over to the side of the road, put the car in park and tried cranking it over. It would start and randomly cut off the engine. I was able to limp back home at ~5 mile intervals and I opened my sunroof during this jaunt back home to stay cool. At one point the engine wouldn't turn over at all so I pulled fuses from the fuse box in the center console seeing if perhaps one of them had been blown. They all looked fine. Surprisingly, my interior lights which hadn't worked for a year all came on after playing with the fuses. This made me fairly happy but I digress.

Once at home I asked a friend what could be wrong and he suggested I try my spare ignition key, which is pretty much brand new, and low and behold my car ran just fine. I had him follow me around for a hour with no cut out problems.

Well once I got home, I noticed that my sunroof wouldn't close. None of the buttons worked! I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the fuses...especially after messing with them my interior lights now work, but the sunroof worked fine BEFORE I played with the fuses. I did make sure that the same amp fuses went back into the correct slots. No 10 amp fuses in a 25 amp slot, or visa-versa.

Steps taken to troubleshoot: I disconnected my battery overnight (+8 hours) to reset my computer per a friends suggestion. This didn't help. Tried pulling all the fuses and inspecting them individually. All look fine.

My question is this: All the fuses look fine. Could it be that I need to insert the fuses in some kind of order? I know that the regular fuses don't have a 'positive/negative' but could a fuse be blown that I missed seeing? Which fuse is for the sunroof on this vehicle? Do I possibly need to take this into a dealership and have them reset the computer? Like I have stated, there have been no problems with this sunroof before. My windows work fine (not sure if they are on the same fuse or not), but my sunroof just doesn't want to close. This happened after I had already opened the sunroof and played with the fuses (while the ignition was off)

Thanks for any help,

Frustrated in Fargo

Dear Frustrated in Fargo

I would think that the fues having nothing to do with the sunroof if they are not blown. Couple things to check. First is the sunroof factory or dealer installed? If factory drop the switch panel and check for pinched wires that may have grounded that is what i found on mine. Other thing could just be the sunroof motor. just a coincidence that it happen that way. take the sunroof switch and flip it back and forth quickly it might shut. When the motor went out in mine it just happen with no warning.

Hope it helps