oil pan gaskets

Guest tom pre

Guest tom pre

24 6 45 lets see if i can ask the correct ques. im reinstalling oil pan. got new gaskets. do the flat gaskets overlap the cork or the other way ? should i mount gaskets to pan or block first ? how do i ensure this wont leak? calk?..as always thank you'

Tom,

I use Olsen's Gaskets.... Olson's Gaskets They will provide instructions as needed.

Most sheet metal engine pans are out of shape from overtightening the mounting bolts.

Put the pan up-side-down on a hard flat surface (flat concrete floor) and use a small hammer to flatten the mating flange of the pan before installation. Permatex or other sealant should be applied to the cast iron machined surface before installation. This will allow the pan to be removed and flattened again without replacing the gasket.

The bearing gaskets at the front and back of the pan should be sealed to the flat cork pan gasket.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tom pre

thanks mark.your right .i finally was able to get underneath with the one arm and see first hand. the cork gaskets on front and back go on the larger flat and tuck up into block. once again, thanks for your patience. god this is agreat car