Part ID help

Guest zazothex

Guest zazothex

I've finally got a camera and a few days, so decided to start cataloging the long, long journey of my '48 continental.

First things; I've come across a few unknown parts on the 'vert;

The steering box is not stock, it appears to have two hydraulic lines attached. There are two codes on it; one on the main housing (6686555 G?1) and one on the pivot arm housing (5687962).

Also, under the rear seat area attached to the bottom sheeting is what appears to be two pumps/realys of some sort. Anyone seen either before?

Sorry about the huge post. I'll try and space them out more later. Ashamed to say I'm going to be doing this a lot.

post-67607-143138321541_thumb.jpg

post-67607-143138321544_thumb.jpg

post-67607-143138321546_thumb.jpg

post-67607-143138321548_thumb.jpg

post-67607-143138321581_thumb.jpg

post-67607-143138321583_thumb.jpg

Appears someone has installed a Saginaw power steering unit along with electric fuel pump(s). What kind of engine was in this car as I see there are also extra mount plate(s)? Looks like you have some "undoing" to do if you want to make it original. I imagine the steering column and wheel are also not stock?

Guest zazothex

I noticed the mounts. Some heavy welding in there. I have more pictures, but even I saw those needed attention so didn't figure I'd trouble anyone. Interesting about the Saginaw. Actually, the column is stock; it's in my shop with the original Lincoln box on it. I've no idea what was in it previously, nor do I know about the PO's engine. The bay was empty when I got it. Looks like I have some cutting and grinding to do. Thanks peecher for the help.