1927 wont start...tries....help

Guest 27 coupe

Guest 27 coupe

my 1927 dodge brothers coupe will not start....it tries to knock me down and attemps to start when i crank it with the handle in front, but if i use the starter (and i have a new battery in it), it barely turns over like it dosnt have enough umf...it is a 6 volt + ground system....Can anyone help?

Teh way your describing it, it sounds like it is pre-igniting, try backing the timing down just a degree or 2. Course the obvious would be to check battery and especially cables. Hope this helps... Fred

Guest 27 coupe

how do i back the timing down? do i pull the distributer and move it a tooth or two? i have the distributer at full Retard but still kicks my but....it did try to start but it does turn in reverse....i think you are right....

Guest Silverghost

Do not pull out your distributor~

I doubt you need that much of an adjustment .

Un-lock the clamp holding it in position and turn the distribuor in the direction that the rotor spins to retard the ign timing.

Do this a little at a time .

This should get you were you need to start & run properly.

I think you are on the right track with the timing issue. I just wanted to add a little advice from the electrical Starter-Generator side of things, throughout your adjusting and tuning process, make sure to always keep your battery charged up and DO NOT overcrank the starter. Overcranking (prolonged cranking w/o cooldown period) or cranking on a low battery could add to your frustrations by damaging your starter-generator.

If you get to the point where you feel you might also have a starter-generator issue, feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns @ 1-866-228-0218 or emai me @ jason@aerrebuild.com. I am very familiar with these combination units and always enjoy talking to new people about these old cars.

Have Fun & Good Luck,

Jason

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders

Grand Ledge, MI

jason@aerrebuild.com

1-866-228-0218

Guest 27 coupe

Awsome....thanks all....I retarded it back and got her to fire up and run.....very smooth concidering what she is.....also i was told that she is a FAST 4....distributer on top....is that true?