Hello Fellow Pontiac/Oakland Enthusiasts

rareindian

Wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and maybe meet a few of the other early Pontiac and Oakland folks out there. My name is Rick from Kingston Springs, TN and I've been collecting early Pontiacs and Pontiac related items now for about 12 years. I've been an old car guy all my life as my dad and other relatives were very much into antique autos as well.

My first Pontiac is my 1931 coupe. After that I have acquired a barn-fresh 1931 two door sedan complete but not running yet, a 1931 cabriolet that is a basket case but all there, a 1930 custom sedan that I sold, another 1930 sedan that I still have-that someone started to restore and quit, a sweet little 1930 standard coupe that came from a barn where it had been sitting since 1959 and it runs and drives, and lastly one I want to ask those reading if they can give me a little more information on-a 1930 Stewart bodied phaeton. Oh yea, I also picked up a 1930 Oakland V8 engine a while back-no car, just the engine.

The '30 phaeton is a fairly complete project as all the phaeton unique items are there including top and unique door handles. What I want to really know is if anyone else has ever seen or heard of another in existence. I'm sure there is but in ten years of searching the internet, POCI rosters, magazines, car shows, etc. I can't even find so much as a photo or mention of one. The closest I've found is the 1930 Pontiac phaeton from the cover of Cars & Parts magazine years ago but that is an Australian Holden bodied car-not the U.S. Stewart built like mine. The cowl tag says:

THE W.F. STEWART CO.

FLINT, MICH

MODEL No 88-A

BODY No 103

Anybody ever seen another please let me know or if anyone just wants to talk Pontiacs let me know!

Rick

post-70269-143138306468_thumb.jpg

post-70269-143138306474_thumb.jpg

post-70269-14313830648_thumb.jpg

post-70269-143138306485_thumb.jpg

post-70269-143138306487_thumb.jpg

post-70269-143138306493_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby

Welcome Rick! You have so nice cars there. I am nw to the old car thing, and my '37 is my first. The way the economy is right now, It'l be my only one for a while.

Thanks bofusmosby, and that is a beautiful '37! I really like that color is it an original one? I know what you mean about the economy. I collected up my cars before everything went south and I'm kinda on standby right now myself. Still collecting up a few parts here and there but no serious resto work going on until things get a little more stable.

Guest bofusmosby

Rick, the color is not an original color. The original color was black. The previous owner had repainted it about 10-15 years ago. I really shouldn't have bought my car now, because I had to take out a load to get it. Oh well, its my first adult toy I have bought, that I really needed like another hole in my head.:D I kinda went crazy buying a bunch of stuff to fix it up. Thats how I over extended myself. Everything is on hold at this time, but I still look for the good deals. You know, like a kid would look at the toy section of the old sears catalog before Christmas. :)

Hi Rick,

Another welcome,

I have a '28 Pontiac that my late father and I bought 52 years ago in 1958 in my teen age years (Boy, am I getting old!), and I'm re- restoring it. You have some nice old 'split head six' Pontiacs, so enjoy working on them and having fun doing it. Any questions you might have, and a great man to contact on this site is 'Tinindian', who knows more about them than anyone and has a beautiful 1930. Have fun!!

:) kaycee

Guest Steve Hughes

Hello Rick. I replied to your PM before reading this. We have a couple of cars in common as I have a 2 door coach, also unrestored, and a cabriolet which Pontiac called a convertible coupe. It is a nice restored car. Not a show car, but a great looking driver.

That phaeton is really a rare indian indeed. I would not be surprised if it were the only one left in existence. Good luck in finding information about the stewart body. I have never seen more than just a mention of the stewart bodied cars.

Thanks, Steve. Any 31 convertible coupe is nice, doesn't have to be show car. I wish mine were not in pieces but I believe I have enough to put it back together. What I am trying to find is a nice pair of windshield posts. Both of mine are broken and I'm not sure if the pot metal could ever be repaired. I keep thinking that someone might offer new castings but nothing so far in my search.

My coach is a nice little car I found in a shed in an old salvage yard in Ohio. I have the original wire spoke wheels and tires on it now but in that picture I posted I had to put some 'roller' wheels and tires on to get it outta the shed and onto my trailer. Its' actually the most complete, straight and rust free car of all. Wood is all pretty solid though would replace if restoring. Except for the crack in the front fender and grille shell and hood has alot of surface rust, but body is rust free. As you can see not the original hood-somebody must have replaced years ago.