needing some advice 1940 special

Guest mattmckean74

Guest mattmckean74

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 1940 2 door special in fair shape... The body does have some holes and some serious issues around the trunk area... the engine is all original and is VERY locked up... I have already pulled the head and have it soaking in PB Blaster BUT I am very skeptical of the motor anyway... Part of the original sale of the car was on the prospects of transplanting the body to another frame... Which brings me to my question... In sticking with at least a GM frame if not a Buick frame, what years and models have you guys used for transplants? Any help and/or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Hello Matt,

Could you give us a bit more detail on the reason for transplanting the body onto a different frame? Is there a particular reason why that would be desirable? If the engine is the primary problem, you would be better off replacing/repairing that component rather than attempting the former. Otherwise you may end up with an endless project that never gets finished and usually costs far more to complete than one ever imagines. Not to mention the fact that the resulting value of the car is usually considerably less than it would be if one had stuck with the original configuration. At this point in order to be of any real assistance we need additional information as to what you are working with. Pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks,

A 1940 Special has a 121" wheelbase. The easiest thing to do (if you can call it easy) is to use a frame with the same wheelbase as that will not require any length modifications.

If you are looking to rod the car, then there are probably other locations that may have more knowledge about making the sort of swap you are contemplating than the group here, which tends toward original.

Otherwise, I agree with Michael - if it is just a matter of the engine being bad, it would be much less project to find a replacement (up to 1947 258 ci straight 8 is a direct replacement) than to put the body on another frame.

Good luck.

Guest mattmckean74

Thanks guys... Will try to post some pics this weekend... Still flipping coins on the frame swap, but will probably be picking up another 1940 buick soon... might restore one and hot rod the other... Like I said, still not sure... Checking out available engines for swap and going to try to free up current motor... Thanks for the input guys!!