Removing engine from '24 roadster

fiddlerbill

This may be a simple question but I am taking out the engine from my '24 roadster and the book says to remove the spring shackles from the rear axle and slide the entire rear axle back in order to seperate the tubed drive shaft. Why can I not slide the engine and transmission forward? If I simply unbolt the engine mounts and transmission mounts at the rear of the engine,will the transmission slide forward off the drive tube safely?

Thanks for any suggestions

I have the rear axle out, all unbolted and am perplaexed by the simple problem of removing the shifter arm. do you have to remove the top of the transmission to get to a release? Does the speedometer nut (after removing the cable) on the transmission hold anything on? The top won't release with all the bolts out.

The transmission top should just lift off with all the bolts removed. The nut on the speedo drive just holds the gear carrier in place.

When you lift the top you will see that the shifter is held in place by a pin and washer against a spring. There is probbaly no reason for you to remove the arm. However, if you do, the way to replace it is to drive the washer down hard against the spring and the bottom of the arm so the pin can be replaced - then give the washer a whack so it jumps up sits against the pin.