1980 MGB rebuild project....A little more help needed...

Guest Hillock

Guest Hillock

OK, I'm getting close to having the refurbishment of my 1980 MGB just about completed (yeh, I know, famous last words....), and would appreciate some advice or help on two issues.

First, the car drives and feels amazingly solid when running on a fairly smooth road, but when it hits bumps, particularly during a turn, I encounter some serious vibrations or shimmying in the front end. Any idea where to start looking in order to diagnose this issue?

Second, even though I've installed a new exhaust system, I still notice a lot of exhaust smell in the cock pit of the car. Any idea what might be causing this, or how to correct it?

Again, any help will really be appreciated.

MJH

I'm going to assume that you've checked all the usual explanations (exhaust leak, bad ball joint, loose bolts, etc.), and have rebuilt the car with the appropriate new parts (gaskets, trunions, etc.).

The front end wobble issue is very similar to one I had with my wife's Datsun when we got married. The wrong bump would send it into an almost uncontrollable tizzy, but otherwise it was fine. It was also nearly new, and mechanically as sound as a car can be. That problem turned out to be bad tires that were breaking down internally. Replaced the tires and the problem was solved. If switching the tires around (or better borrowing another set) fixes this, then you need to replace them asap.

If not then you may have a geometry issue with the car. A good allignment shop should look at the car at any rate after you're done anyway.

The exhaust may be drawn in from the back of the car under certain circumstances. Placement of the tailpipe is important in a convertible, as the vacuum behind the car/windshield can suck exhaust forward. Make sure your tailpipe is properly located by comparing it to other cars. If there's no leak in the system, then this is probably the only way you're getting exhaust inside the interior.