Possible purchase of 26-51 with questions.

Robberbach

I went today to see a 26 Buick model 51. The gentleman that showed me the car, had received it as part of his inheritance from his father. His father had started the resto, but never finished. The main body is on the chassis. The fenders running boards are off. The car has 38,000 miles on the odometer, and is in solid shape. We found the trunk, radiator shell, radiator, and pieces to the bumper. Could not find the hood?? This is truly a basket case. His father had stated that the car was 95-98% there. My deliemma is how do I tell, and what is it worth. I tried to get a solid price out of him, but all he would give me is "I don't really know what it is worth."

So I guess my question to the board is, how available are the knick knack parts. ie knobs switches, trim and so on? The dash and interior looks to be complete, including the pull down rear shades. Does anyone have a hood available,how much? Will parts from the Standard fit the Master? Will 25 or 27 parts fit? And lastly what would be a good price for the car? Is it considered a #5 or a #4

If anyone has an Old Cars Pricing guide I would appreciate a pm with the values. I'd hate to see this car go to a hotrodder, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not my intent.

I do have some pics from and e-mail that he sent, if anyone would want to see them.

That's a great car. I like the 51 sedans from 1924 to 1927 with the oval window. I had a 24-51 with the regular window that was a real basket case yet it was all together. The wood was so rotted that I took it apart with my hands. I have some parts from it but not the hood.

All of the mechanical parts are mostly available. The hood is the same for all 1926 Master series so chances of finding that are good. I know somebody who might have one. What you would have a harder time with are things that are particular to that model. If you have the whole interior in nice shape then the only external items would be the trunk "shelf" on the back of the body, the bumpers that go on the back of the body to keep the trunk from damaging the body, the gas tank and not much else. The headlights and cowl lights are all nickel plated.

As for a price....there are lots of these project cars showing up lately, much more than in the recent past. They don't go for much money. If you were to do a nice restoration of this car it would be worth in the twenty to thirty thousand range, tops. There was a 25-51 that they spent way over a hundred grand to restore and it sold for around fifty grand, I believe. This is not the usual restoration. It comes down to what it is worth to you. Can you do the work yourself? If you are going to have it restored then throw away the guys phone number unless you are Bill Gates. If you can do it yourself then a three to four thousand dollar price would be fair. Make sure the engine has no external cracks and that it's the correct one for that year. If you can turn it over all the better.

Good luck and post pictures if you have them.