1942 Cadillac Model 75 Gas Tank & Lines tech help needed..

Guest Classic Mechanic

Guest Classic Mechanic

Will take any tech help, names of suppliers, articles, and pictures for replacing the gas tank and replumbing the gas lines. The shop manual is thin in these areas and any extra advice is greatly appreciated. Not a show car but want to return it to a safe and enjoyable weekly cruiser. Contact burkefamily56@gmail.com and 405 341 0438 OKC. Thanks Russ

I have a method for making replacement brake lines, gas lines etc that works for me. This is for the standard coated steel lines.

Buy a coil of tubing of the appropriate size at any good parts store. You will need a tube bender and a flaring tool.

Take the old line off as carefully as possible. I like to cut them off at the ends, as short as possible, then use a socket wrench to take off the old fitting. This is much easier and better than trying to get them off with an open end or line wrench.

When you have the line on your workbench take your new line and start bending it to match. To straighten out the coiled line, straighten the first bit and set it on the floor, step on it and hold it down with your foot while you unroll the rest. This allows you to get it straight.

Leave a little extra, and start bending from one end duplicating the bends in the old line. Tape the 2 lines together with masking tape as you go.

When you get to the end you can cut the line to length and install the appropriate fittings. If you need a bulge to hold a rubber hose on, upset the tubing as if you were going to do a double flare and leave it at that.

As you go to install the new line you should find it fits in neatly with a little adjusting.

O ya, after making up the line I blow thru it with an air hose and tape up the ends so no dirt can get in while installing it.

Guest Classic Mechanic

Thanks Rusty, I will try your ideas. The Old Sea Foam solvent sure works on those frozen fittings when you have the time to soak them...I hate to put the old torch to work on some of these classics because I have had some very close calls with the big bang theory..Thanks Again

Russ

Guest Classic Mechanic

Thanks Lou, I downloaded and printed the catalog for Inline Tube and also talked with the tech folks and they can fabricate a tank. It looks like top shelf parts from what I saw on line and the help from the tech folks. I also talked with a gas tank supplier in Boston and he recommended a 41-48 Chevy gas tank and just relocate the filler. GM used all the same sending units and the size will work giving up about two gallons of gas capacity. Thanks Again Russ