Can somebody explain which outside visor fits 1950 Chieftain?

Hi everyone. I want to add an outside visor to my 1950 Chieftain but I am confused with various products offered on e-bay and other vendors. I prefer an original that I can restore if needed. My car is all stock. I would like to know if the GM visors used on Chevys will fit, if I need special brackets at the ends or it is just screwed on the drip rails? There is a Dietrich visor offered on e bay. Will this work? I supposed this is aftermarket but at least is metal. Any of the Fultons will fit? Hope somebody can provide links or some information. Thanks to all of you Pontiac owners.

Manuel

For your Pontiac you can use the original style one for the chevy often offered on Ebay, but you have to be carefull about your body style, the visor for sedan is not the same as the hardtop (it's the drip rail side bracket the big differences), and also be carefull for the center bracket, your 50 need the center bracket for a 2 pieces windshield, the 53-54 with the one piece windshield get the center bracket on the top.

Also the side bracket goes inside the drip rail, not outside.

good luck.

Fitz.

Thanks Fitz. Using the information you provided I am bidding on a Dietrich visor that seems to fit the description. I still don't understand the difference between visors that are mounted "inside the drip rail" vs "outside the drip rail". I thought the visor goes "between the two lids of the drip rail" and is secured there with a couple of bolts. May be you can explain the difference. Beautiful car in your picture ! Thanks again.

Manuel

I don't undestand what you mean when you said:"between the two lids of the drip rail" but some people put a visor on their car and put the side visor bracket on the outside because it's easier to make the hole in the drip rail, but the original one (don,t remember the brand name) go inside and you have to bolt thru the rail. The thread for bolting is in the side bracket, or you can use small nut. Use stainless bolt, it will help you to avoid rust in your rail too quickly.

Thanks for my car's picture.

Fitz.

Guest 49 Streamliner

Manuel,

A previous owner mounted the sunvisor on my 49 Streamliner. The brackets were on the outside of the drip rail and attached with sheet metal screws. As Fitz stated, the brackets should be on the inside of the drip rail. I reinstalled them that way. I've attached some photos showing what the side brackets and the center bracket look like. The paint scratches on the drip rails are from the brackets having been on the outside.

Bill

[ATTACH]61015[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]61016[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]61017[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]61018[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]61019[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]61020[/ATTACH]

Guest 49 Streamliner

It looks like the photo attachments I put in my previous message are there, but can't be opened. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Bill

click on "manage attachments'', awindow will open in the top left (maybe elsewhere) you will browse into your computer to put picture. Should be work for you.

Fitz.