Water Temperature Gage Problem

Guest WRa5300745

Guest WRa5300745

:(The warer temperature gage on my '89, 16 valve TC with only 21,000 miles does not move. The fan does not come on either. We had planned on a long trip in the TC but we are afraid to drive it since it may overheat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marvin, TCA member #3759:(

Guest My TC Toy

It may be as simple as a faulty sending unit. I do not know where it is exactly located on the 16v engine, but the sending unit is generally readily visable and normally connected by one wire (yellow/mauve) with a black angle cap probably close to the goose neck. Once located remove the wire and ground it. Turn on the key, and if the guage goes to hot, you have a faulty sensor. These should be readily available at your parts store.

Guest george w

I beleive that the temp sender for the gauge is separate from the coolant temp sensor that feeds the engine controller. On the 8V engines, the temp sender is screwed in the head near the a/c compressor. The coolant temp. sensor is also screwed into the head but at the thermostat box. I would suspect that you have two issues, one with the gauge and another with the fan. Does the fan come on when you turn on the a/c ? If not, start troubleshooting at the fan relay.

Just to be safe, check the wiring connector at the fan just to make sure that it's plugged in and make sure the fan spins freely.