Teves Question

Michael_V

Hello, I have an 89 Reatta and the master cylinder has gone bad. The unit is out of the car and it is most likely that the cups have gone bad. Being an expensive part this limits my options. Rebuild kits are unavailable and a used unit will have 21 years of mileage on it. I see a new 88 master cylinder on eBay at a decant price, but this has different fittings than mine. My question is are the internal seals and cups the same on the 88 and 89? That way if purchased I could rebuild the 89 for allot less than a re manufactured unit.

As I recall the Teves has pistons for the front brakes only, the rears are actuated by feedback pressure. No reason there should be anything odd about the cups though disassembly could be challenging.

I have the 89 unit taken apart and have even located a source for all the o rings made of EPDM. I just can't find a manufacturer who makes the cups out of that material. There are three cups in two different sizes. The cups are what I believe are leaking. This is to bad or I would be able to rebuild the unit. If there are rebuilt units out there the cups are available somewhere.