Ultimate Guide to Raising/Lowering Soft/Hard Tops

Guest shyney

Guest shyney

Hello, we meet again! Does anyone have the time to put together an ultimate guide -- step by step for us dummies who are befuddled by this entire complex process of raising and lowering the tops?

I've searched the forum and learned to always latch the back FIRST and that probably there is something wrong with the new pull down motor installed in my TC by previous owner.

My brother & I wrangled the hard top off -- (Pristine Yellow Hardtop with slightly fogged but fixable portholes seriously for sale, includes original Maserati cloth cover and deluxe stand/cart with tiny wheels). I personally have no plans to ever use it again, except for hanging clothes as it is parked in my laundry room.

My first difficulty starts with step number one -- pull the soft top out! It binds on the tonneau cover. Help!

TOP down and up buttons occassionally make noise and even more rarely engage or disengage (the pins on the hardtop). Should I be using the trunk method ONLY -- righty tighty, left loosie and ignore the TOP button?

Thanks, Barbara

post-68572-143138246032_thumb.jpg

Guest Sun-Toys

The ultimate guide for lowering and raising the top is located in Chrysler's TC Owners & Service Manual; you'll find it on pages 61 - 66. These TC Owners Manuals are usually available on eBay - they're small but packed with information. I own 3 1989 Chrysler TCs and I've never taken the top off of any of them. I agree with you; it's a lot of work and where do you store these large heavy tops. I drive a 1976 Mercedes 450 SL as a daily driver and I take the top off once a year....and leave it off.

Guest george w

When lifting the soft top out of the compartment it's neccessary to pull the metal tonneau cover up and back with one hand while lifting the back of the top up and out with the other. Even then, the back edge of the top will rub the underside of the tonneau slightly when coming out.

When securing the top with the latching mechansim you'll want to latch the back of the top BEFORE manually latching the header hooks. This reduces the stress on the pull down mechanism.

When dropping the top back down insure that the window area folds down completely flat as the top is lowered.

Edited by george w (see edit history)

Guest shyney

Thanks George!! So, do I need to pull the metal tonneau cover up and PUSH back to hold it up while lifting the back of the top up & out? What part of the soft top should I grab? By header hooks I guess you mean the latches for the windshield? Why do I need a pull down motor (that works) or can I do it manually?

I have the manual but I was afraid to consult it because the inside of my tonneau cover has a PARAGRAPH of instructions, some of which don't apply!

So far I am only driving on days with no forecast for rain and only visiting friends who have carports! I'm beginning to suspect that my original soft top is so pristine because no one could get it out!

Guest My TC Toy

Shyney, you need a pull-down motor to pull the rear section of the top in place to seal against the chrome. You can do this manually by using your lug wrench inserted in the small hole in the centre rear of the trunk. After you latch the two rear pins into their respective holes turn the manual adjuster to tighten down the top. Reverse procedure to remove the top. It is a lot easier with the pull-down working.

Bob

Guest BarelyFit

My 89 is a daily driver and I take the top down after work every Friday. My pull down motor quit this year so I had to learn to do it manually.

Top down and you want it up.

Release the tonneau cover either with the switch or the pull wire. Most of the time my toneau cover will stay up on its own but I brace it with my right elbow anyway. Grab the top as close to the middle as you can reach, pull up and forward. Rest the top on the chrome on the windshield. (Manual) look down at the locking pins the one with the catch should be up, if not; from the lug turn to the right about 1/8 of a turn you will hear a audible click. If they are still not up turn the lug to the left fully and then to the right about an 8th of a turn you will hear a click. Now shut the toneau cover and push the pins in the rear of the top, into the holes, again you should hear and feel a click. Now go back to the lug and turn to the right about 1/4 turn. You will hear and feel a major click. Now go to the interior and open both of the latching levers. Partially engage the driver side and then the passenger making sure they are centered in the holes. Now fully engage the levers.

To take the top down. Disengage the levers and pop the front of the top above the windshield and re-engage the levers. Manual; turn the lug to the left until the back of the soft top pops up. Pop the tonneau cover; again to keep it fully open I brace with my right elbow. While holding the rear of the top with the right hand and your left hand on the front of the top, SLOWLY pull the front toward the rear. The top will start to fold. Guide the top into the cargo area; make sure the fabric is neatly tucked in. Lower the tonneau cover and gently but firmly push down on the front part to engage. Then engage the passenger side.

Oh, make sure the windows are down for both up and down. Bad things can happen if they are not down. I keep a ratchet with a 3/4" socket in the trunk rather than use the unwieldy lug wrench. Works great and almost as easy as the electrical way....(not really).

Edited by BarelyFit (see edit history)

Guest shyney

Barely Fit, thank you so much! That was just the explanation I needed! Fortunately for me, the mechanic (who the previous owner hired to replace the top down motor) accidentally left his large ratchet and 3/4 socket in the trunk. So I'm going to practice the manual method until I get it down and then worry about finding someone (else) to fix the motor. Barbara

A word of caustion is in order here. The manual "release mechanism" is NOT structurally designed to be used to LATCH the pins/top repeatedly and it will likey fail if used to do this. Technically, it is a manual RELEASE mechanism which is much less stressfull on the assembly than the force it takes to latch the top.

There are at least 4 things I know of that can make the pulldown motor not function. From a corroded relay ground, to stripped gears, and a cracked motor housing that allows the motor to 'move away' under load to name a few. TCPARTS.com does rebuild the units or offer replacement housings/gears for the DIY'r:)

Alan