Automotive orphans and oddities on Route 66

Guest Hinckley

Guest Hinckley

I received this notice yesterday and thought it should be shared. I was at the June event and though it was small, about two city blocks of vehicles on display, the diversity was impressive (rat rods, solar powered golf carts, a beautiful 1951 Hudson and 1962 Chrysler 300, etc.). So with an open event shining the spot light on orphans ...

Here is the press release -

The June edition of Chillin’ on Beale Street, a joint endeavor of the Kingman Route 66 Association, the Cruizers Car Club, and the Kingman Downtown Merchants Association, may be history but it will not be soon forgotten. With sponsorship from Monica J. Busch Investments, Fastrax, and KRMC. Beale Street was transformed into a sea of glittering chrome and the sidewalks filled with folks who came for the cars, music, entertainment and cool breezes as the evening shadows lengthened.

This no charge for admission, no entry fee car show has historically attracted a very diverse field of automotive entries but this was the largest and most eclectic display to date. Vehicles on display ran the gamut from cobbled together rat rods and garishly painted hotrods to a very rare 1962 Chrysler 300 and 1951 Hudson.

The next Chillin’ on Beale Street, scheduled for the evening of July 17, will continue with the “anything with wheels is welcome” tradition but this time there will be a twist. The theme for this event will be a salute to automotive orphans, vehicles manufactured by companies no longer existent (Packard, Studebaker, AMC etc.) or that represent a discontinued line: Plymouth, Oldsmobile, etc.).

For general information about the event, information about the cost of advertisement through sponsorship, or availability and cost of vendor spaces, contact Chris Durkin at 928-830-3755.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hinckley

Anyone out there planning on attending? This is a real low key affair that is more like a huge block party. Lots of cars, crowds, and stange vehicles. Even though it is summer and the event is in Arizona evenings in Kingman are rather nice, usually around 80 degrees. I was talking with the organizer yesterday and he said the August edition will be a slaute ot Mopar and that the Power House and Route 66 Museum will be open until 8:00 PM.

Guest Hinckley

Last month the "open to anything with wheels" no entry fee event attracted about 75 vehicles ranging from a beautiful 1961 Chrysler 300 and 1951 Hudson to rat rods, motorcycles and custom bicycles. The July event continues that theme but as the "guests of honor" will be the orphans these vehicles will be awarded a special prize.

I hope you can get the De Soto on the road in time. If not, perhaps in August when the theme will be a salute to Mopar.

One aspect of this event that I really like is that it exposes young "tuner car" kids to the world of antique or vintage autos. As a result we now have some skate park hangouts cruising the streets in a stock but rough 1949 Plymouth sedan!

In talking with the organizer I learned he has had inquiries from owners of a Pontiac Aztec, a 1929 De Soto, AMC Eagle and an Edsel! I am really anxious to see what turns up.

Guest Hinckley

Chillin-Dash-Plaque+copy.jpg

Here is a the dash plaque that the Route 66 Association of Kingman will be presenting to the the first 200 owners of automotive orphans at Chillin on Beale Stret. As you can see, the emphasis is on laid back fun.

• 2 weeks later...