engine finishes on a 63 Avanti

Now that I am tearing into the Avanti engine detailing more I have a question. For instance, I know the block and intake are red but what red? What other paint colors and where? What plating or paint is used on the vertical throttle linkage that goes on the back of the block?

Where can I get a good comprehensive list of finishes in the engine compartment. I am not doing a show car but I like to keep things original and accurate. As long as I am in this engine now I want to detail it right while I have the chance.

Thanks- Bill

Guest stude8

It depends on what engine you have? R1 and R2 were painted black on cylinder block and heads. R3 engines (only 9 were factory installed) were red in color on heads and block. If your engine is supercharged the blower can be orange or black by the run of parts from Paxton.

Attached are photos of significant Avanti engines, one is the R3 display engine at Studebaker National Museum at South Bend. The other two are of what I call an R2 and 1/2 being assembled by a friend in VA. It is an R2 but has had several options added like the carb enclosure and R3 valve covers BUT the color scheme is accurate for an R2.

If your engine is an R3 the best color red match I have found is Rustoleum Regal Red #7765.

Stude8

post-31139-143138237165_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138237194_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138237197_thumb.jpg

Thank you Stude8 for the response. Now I really know how little I know and how much info I need!! I think I read about the red block and manifold in the Resto section above about the Avanti refresh and assumed all 63's were the same.

Mine is an R1 and it has great sentimental value so while an R3 is a rare bird I'll take mine with the R1/4speed.

Is there a site or a list available to help me keep the car accurate?

Thanks- Bill

JOhn- Thank you for the links. With a list that Dave T sent I have lots of information to use now.

My Avanti is very special to me. It is SN 2602, an R-1 with 4 speed, red with black and fawn interior. About the only options it has are an AM radio and the "Silent Exhaust" with resonators.

My father bought it new in Rochester, NY in March of '63 from the dealer on West Henrietta Rd. He traded a '61 Plymouth Valiant and a '57 President in. According to my aunt it was the first Avanti delivered in Rochester and he paid a $500 premium to the dealer, although he did negotiate the price down. In fact, on the window sticker which I still have and laminated to preserve he scribbled the discount price on each line item in pencil as they talked. I thought it so great I left it there when I laminated it!!

The stories of him and this car are endless it seems. I do not know the mileage on her as he commuted 100+ miles daily in it for the first six years. He disconnected the speedo to keep the miles under warranty during this time. It has also made a few trips to Florida, some towing a camper and all the family aboard.

Overall she is a good running, reliable, fairly original car that is showing it's age. The engine was rebuilt stock in 1973, he had her repainted in 1974 and she was left to me when he passed in 1978. It s the car that got me in the hobby with my first Hershey in '79. As they say- the rest is history!

Last winter I removed the drive train to to replace the clutch, pressure plate, throwout and U joints. I did the brakes over two years ago including SS lines and the exhaust in SS from the guy in Canada. I was going to have the engine down over the winter but my friend who is helping and has the garage where we work took very sick so I am just doing the engine work now.

I am actually only doing a cosmetic resto on it. We pulled it to regasket the entire engine as it was leaking bodily fluids everywhere possible I think. As long as it is out I am detailing it and the engine bay to clean up the mess. The car runs strong- good power, smooth and no smoke so I am not pulling the heads or lower end. With the carb rebuild by Dave T-bow it should run even better!

As for pics- I tried to post pics here once and had a hell of a time with it so I never tried again ( and that only my avatar of the '13 Stude!). It is an average Avanti with a '74 $300 enamel paint job so a picture is not a big deal but I may try it later.

Can you tell I love my "little red go-like-hell" car? Thanks again- Bill

Bill, what a great story, and to have the car in the same family is really unique. Mine was painted also in about 74 from Avanti red, to a metallic green. It is really showing its age. The interior is OK, but painted black except where I removed it back to red. The driver's seat is about gone, but the rest of the interior is basically fine for as old as she is.

Posting pics are easy. click on "go advanced", scroll down past your message to Attach Files, click on "manage attachments", then all you do is click on "chose file" and find the pic you want to display, and then double click on the pic. You do the same choose function for each pic you want. When you are done choosing, just click "upload". When uploaded, just submit. The program automatically resizes your pics to the right size so you do not have to worry about making them smaller.

Good luck, look forward to the pics. And you have a great group of cars too. We need to see them also.