Idler arm source 1962 F-85/Special

joe_padavano

I'm looking for a source for the idler arm for my 1962 F-85 (Buick Special is the same). Yes, I know about Kanter and NAPA Rare Parts. A little explanation first.

The idler on this car uses a threaded metal bushing that screws into the actual idler arm and threads onto the frame bracket. The arm actually runs up and down the threads as it moves side-to-side. NAPA/Rare Parts shows a photo of their kit that includes both the bushing and the frame bracket, which makes sense, since the threads on the bracket are a wear item. The list price is about $130.

tn_20244.jpg

Kanter lists a "bushing kit" for $57 but provides no photo. A call to their customer service line was completely unhelpful, as the service rep would only parrot back the words on their web page. The large difference in price obviously raises questions as to the actual content of the Kanter kit - if it is the threaded bushing only, then a worn frame bracket would still be a problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this part from Kanter? Is it really just the bushing, or does it include the frame bracket as well. Note that 1963 is completely different, so only the 1961-62 parts are the same. Are there any other parts sources I should be checking? Thanks in advance.