'48 vs '49 Roadmaster Brake Lines

Malo48

Hi folks.

Does anyone know if the brake lines on the '49 Roadmasters (or any other year, for that matter) are interchangable with the '48? I'm having a terrible time trying to get a line made for my '48 (master-cylinder-to-distribution-block line, the original is mangled and isn't good for template use) and some tubing places have brake line sets for the '49, not the '48.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Malo48 (see edit history)

Good Morning: You can go to the local NAPA or other dealer and buy brake line material which is ready to install except for simply bending to the required shape. Simple bending tools are also available. Simply bend the pre-made line using the original line as a pattern. Be sure to move the brass fitting to the end of the line before starting to bend as at some point it will not go past the bend and you will have to straighten before rebending. The brake line you can buy comes in various lengths to accommodate your needs. Even if you have not done this before you will find it is actually very easy and very inexpensive. Always be careful working under a car unless it is adequately supported. Hope this helps. Patrick W. Brooks

Thanks for the input and advice, much appreciated. I think I might take the NAPA route for the lines and use the coat hanger template for that one mangled line (the others are intact).

Down the road as finances dictate I will probably change to a dual-reservoir system or something similar, but until then I just need to be able to move the car around over short distances.