W31 identification

Guest tonycutlass

Guest tonycutlass

I am trying to determine if my 1970 350 is a w31 engine

It has #6 heads with 1.62 exhaust valves and it has a large harmonic ballancer,can some one tell me how to know for sure

I am trying to determine if my 1970 350 is a w31 engine

It has #6 heads with 1.62 exhaust valves and it has a large harmonic ballancer,can some one tell me how to know for sure

Unfortunately, everything that makes it a W-31 can be bolted to any 350 Olds motor, so without a build sheet and matching VIN derivative on the block, there is no way to know with absolute certainty. You CAN get a good indication if the motor appears to be original and unmolested, and if all the correct W-31 equipment is in place. Assuming the VIN derivative shows it to be a 1970 block, and the #6 heads have the 2.000/1.625 valves, and the cam is the correct 308 degree cam, and it has the W-31-unique balancer, and it has the correct distributor, and the pistons are flattops, then there's a high probability that the motor is an original W-31.

Guest tonycutlass

would any one by chance have a pic of the ballancers they used or diameter

I havent checked cam but its got flat tops and the right size valves,currently have the#6 heads all re built and on my 72 cutlass 355

Its standard bore also

would any one by chance have a pic of the ballancers they used or diameter

I havent checked cam but its got flat tops and the right size valves,currently have the#6 heads all re built and on my 72 cutlass 355

Its standard bore also

I KNEW you were going to ask that... ;)

w31_harmonic_balancer.jpg

Guest tonycutlass

Its not the same thickness as your pic,mine is only Aprox 5/8" thick,it is 7 1/2 inches tall.

Must be something different.Thanks for all the info