How do you remove a starter on a 1916 Buick?

cgrocen

Hello everyone,

I was asked by my aunt to repair the starter on her 1916 McLaughlin Buick D45 Touring car. It was my uncle's car, but he as passed on. I am mechanically inclined and have been involved in the old car hobby for over 30 years, so I do not think that I should have much trouble with the job. However, on this car, it has a Delco starter/generator unit that has the distributor on it's front. There is a shaft that runs from the front of the the motor, through the water pump and then on to the distributor, through the motor/generator and stops at the flywheel. My question is this, at what location is this shaft split in order to take the starter/generator off? Does it come apart at the water pump, or at the distributor? I do have a couple of manuals for the car. They are like owner's manuals. One has a picture that shows a coupling between the water pump and the the distributor, and another does not show this coupling. My aunt's car does not have this coupling. The car was professionally restored in the early 1980's and everything was done properly as far as I can tell. It has been in storage for at least the past 10 years. Any help with how I go about removing this unit would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

post-68394-143138231014_thumb.jpg

post-68394-143138231017_thumb.jpg

post-68394-143138231019_thumb.jpg

John,

The motor was lightly seized for sitting for a long time. When we went to start the car, not knowing the motor was seized (why would it be?), the starter was engaged for about 30 seconds and then started to smoke. I know, you have to step on the starter pedal and hold it in. Why did we hold it in for so long, I don't know. What is done, is done. Anyhow, it would not work after that. Something inside may need some attention. I have located a shop locally that can inspect it and possibly repair it, if it is a lead wire of some sort that has melted off (?). In any regard, the starter I believe will need to be removed in order to be repaired, or, if it cannot be repaired, it will have to be replaced.

Chris

Chris,

If you send me your mailing address of full e-mail address, I can send you a newsletter we do for owners of 1915-18 Buick's and McLaughlin's. It is full of technical tips and interesting info and is pulished quarterly. Distribution is 175 members all over the world and has been going for over 13 years now. Cost is only $10 for 2 years for the e-mail version.

I have an identical car to your 1916 so I'm sure we can help you.

Dean Tryon - Editor

DGTryon2516@gmail.com (NC)

Thank you for your offer on the newsletter. However, I believe that once the repairs are done to this car, my aunt is planning on selling it.

I am going to be out at my aunt's place this Thursday, June 17, so I really need to find out about how to remove this starter.

Any advice about the shaft that runs along the right side of the motor would be very helpful.

Additionally, if any has a shop manual with information in it about removing the starter, could you scan it and e-mail it to me at cgrocen@sasktel.net

Best regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I can't offer any assistance but was wondering what part of SK you are in and whether or not you are building an ark. I was raised north of Saskatoon.

If / when this car comes up for sale, I may be interested. I would need to convince She Who Must Be Obeyed, but that is generally possible. I was hoping to add a truck as a representative of the teens to my Buick collection, but a McLaughlin tourer may do the trick. I know some folks who would be pretty excited if I bought such a car.

Thanks.

Hi Derek,

I am from Esterhazy, just south east of Yorkton, and the car is in Manitoba, about 100 miles east of me.

I am not sure exactly when my aunt would want to sell the car, but I can certainly let her know that there are people interested in it.

I did manage to get the starter off with no problem. I have changed brushes, and it seems to be working fine as far as bench testing goes.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

It is good to hear you have made progress with the starter.

My interest level in a car rises the closer it is to me. There's a fellow near Langruth (west side of Lake MB) who has some similar vintage McLaughlins. I'm not in any rush to buy, but when the time comes, I would be interested in taking a look. Clicking on Thriller will give you options to send a private message or e-mail.

Take care and good luck with the car.

• 9 months later...
Guest hkopper

Hi Chris,

I am retauring a 1916 Buick, I know how to remove the Delco Starter, first is a coupling in the end of the shaft where is conected at the starter, you will find a small round pin that is tapered that have to be removed, when is removed you can slide the coupling and leave the nesesary room for the starter to be lifted, remove the four screws that are located two in the botton front of the starter and two at the top inner side of the engine, the next step is to remove the cover of the starter gears at the engine flyweel.

I hope this will help you.

HERMANN