WTB 28 Plymouth Leaf Spring Bushings

jquam

I agree with Steve that Rare Parts is a good place to try. If they don't have the parts but you can supply a sample, they can make new ones. The nice thing about that is they then add that part to their catalog and it becomes available for others too.

If I read the 1928-33 Plymouth Master Parts List correctly, the same spring shackles are used for the 1928 Q, 1929 U and the 1930 30-U. That might help with cross referencing and finding parts.

Guest martylum

Hi John-I replaced the shackles and shackle pins on a 29 Desoto sedan some years ago. The original shackles and pins were badly worn . The original manufacturer for these items is Tryon and they made these items for a variety of cars of that era including both Plymouth and Desoto cars.

We ended up having the shackles resurfaced and remachined and had new pins made by a machine shop in heat treatable steel with the heat treating being done after the machining.

I did find some new shackle sets available from an Ohio vendor when i restored my 30 Desoto but he didn't have the correct model for DeSotos. No luck on finding any new shackles when I did the 29 Desoto. I used a deep socket of the appropriate size and long threaded bolt and washers and nut plus heat to remove and install the shackle pins from the spring eyes.

Martin Lum

Thanks for the info Marty.

It appears that Rare Parts has the shackles and bushings I need. They said that a 1930 Chev used the same shackle casting as Plymouth for 28 thru 30 and are currently making a manf. run of shackle pins to fit the Plymouth. I'll let you know how things turn out.

John

Guest martylum

John-Chevy's in this period did use a Tryon shacklea but I think the height of the shackle plate was different. The original shackle plates are forged which means very strong. Be sure from the vendor these Chevy plates aren't just modern low strength castings rather than forgings and are the correct dimension for your Desoto.. The plates are a very critical safety element. A forged plate will not cut with a file.

Martin Lum