Guard-mounted spares wheel locks

The guard-mounted spare wheels on a 6-wheel equipped DA have locking blocks fixed to the fenders (oops) that house a locking rod which passes through the spare wire wheel for security. My questions is ... how are those blocks attached to the fenders?

The underneath side of mine are so road-damaged to appear as 2 round-head rivets - therefore impossible to detach without oxy-cutting.

Were they originally studs with nuts? Maybe a photo of a good one would clarify.

Guest 1930

Just a word of warning, I am surprised that Near... was able to remove with vise grips without breaking off the head. That square head is attached to the main threaded body with such a tiny scap of meatal. I have had them twist off like they were made of butter. Ilearned to heat first and the soak with WD and then carefully retry.

I said square head, it is hex head, 9/16 if I remember correctly, here is a better picture.

post-48869-143138215708_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thanks 1930 and Near ... that shows me what I am dealing with.

I'll try some heat and penetrating oil and if that fails, I might have to grind them off and re-tap etc. Interesting to see that the 'blocks' aren't actually solid! More care will be taken. I am also envious of your wing nuts in the photos - very hard to find.

Guest 1930

I dont think you will have to grind them off, if you do you prob. wont find replacements easily, give it time, they will come off, worse case is hit the edges with a chisel, at least they can be repaired. I thought Glen reproduced wing nuts but I may be mistaken, might want to check out his site