1927 correct spark plugs

Guest Mike in England

Guest Mike in England

I have just removed the plugs from my Standard 6 (a 24mm socket was needed by the way) and see the rather worn plugs are Champion W18. The car was in southern Australia before I bought her and as I am in England (somewhat cooler!) I wondered if I should fit different grade plugs. Any answers out there?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pssmls

John, Is there an advantage in running Champion W18 plugs rather than Autolite 3076? One person suggested it would be good to go with the Autolite 3076, as it is a shorter plug and would not make contact with the metal cover. I have a 23 Buick 44-6 (6 cyl), which has Prestolite 78 8 plugs, which has boots on them. I think that without the boots, they may make contact with the metal cover, as they are fairly long. Photos I have seen show no boots on either the spark plug end or the distributor cap end of the plug wires and main coil wire. Also, I have been thinking it would be neat to have Champion 3X plugs, which are the plugs that can be dis-assembled and have a brass knob on top. Don't know if that would be proper if one wants to have a car as close to original as possible. Also, they are about $26.00each. I would like a couple of opinions to help me decide which way to go. Please advise which plug is better in my case and whether my car should have boots or no boots. Thanks.

Guest pssmls

John, Also, a 1923 I viewed a UTube video of, appears to have the Oak (dark orange with tracers) wiring, rather than black. It looked black where it was exposed, but when the cover was removed, it appeared to be the Oak wiring, where it was not exposed to the light. A person has indicated that I should go with the black. Here again, I want it to be as close to original as possible. Can you, or anyone, help me with the correct wiring and plugs for my veh (1923 44-6, Roadster Convertible)? Thank you.

I am running the AC 3076 plugs on my 23, I have the cover on with no issues. I do have the spade connectors with a nut on the end of the plugs. I have also glued a strip of rubber, from an inner tube, where the plug might hit the cover. As I said, I am using the Champion plugs on my 28, also with a spade connector, and the rubber strip. I have not had any issues with either.

Wires, I have the black 9 mm wires on the 23, 7 mm yellow with black tracer on the 28.

I have seen all colors and type of wires, I would just make sure that they are cloth covered, color is at your option in my opinion.

Guest Mike in England

I purchased and fitted new Champion W18 plugs which is the original plug as specified by Buick and have fitted brass spade connectors which look very neat but there is no way I would think that the cover plate would fit over them (I am missing the plate on my 27 car anyway). On a different subject does anyone know where I can obtain a rebuild kit for the Marvel carb; mine is a bit leaky.

Mike Ralph, Devon UK

Champion 3X is a pipe thread plug and will not work. If you want a plug with the brass top, you can use Champion C4 but you have to find an old nos or good used plug. As far as I know, they do not make a modern C4 with the brass head.

There is no advantage to running the Champion W18 that I know of. The disadvantage is that the W18 is a longer plug and could interfere with the spark plug cover and without the rubber strip like John used.

THE CARBURETOR SHOP rebuilds the carburetors. Several years ago I inquired about rebuilding a 1928 carb.. The cost was somewhere around $250.00. If it is just leaking, why not take it apart and put in new gaskets. I cut my own from gasket paper.