1931 Heater Fitment

Guest jules greenway

Guest jules greenway

Hi guys

I am thinking of fitting a suitably vintage heater (hot water) to the 90-there are signs of one having been fitted before, holes thru the firewall etc.

My question is how were the hoses routed? where did they connect into the system?, I imagine one was into the bottom hose, but the return?

also what sort of control/shut off valve was used?

What type of switch for the fan?

I did wonder if the redundant carb heat lever could be utilised for a cable controlled valve

Photos of an installation would be much appreciated

cheers

Jules

Jules, the very early ones, in the mid to late 20 were simple. Just a miniature radiator with a similar shell to boot. They had a small 6v motor, one speed to push the heat around the cabin; and a simple on off switch. They seem to be all after market. You got heat, but no defroster, so you put in an electric or vacuum van for that. Here is a site that has lots of examples. http://www.classicaccessories.org/listHotWaterHeaters.html

For connections I have seen them in the upper radiator hose, and the bottom as you mentioned. These were heater nipples that went into holes drilled into the hoses with a top and bottom plate so they did not leak. Here is a pic of one I have. Also I can take a pic of a very early heater if you want. I just have to dig it out.

Later they added nipples directly to the engine, and heat control. If you wanted heat control then you would have to put in a mechanical valve to control the heat.

If you want to go with a modern, compact unit, which you could hide under the dash you might consider this unit.

http://www.vintageair.com/catalog09/09%20VintageAir%20Catalog%2023.pdf

I have seen several vendors that restore heater or you can always look at flea market vendors. I seem them frequently. I guess it is just how far you want to go to match the period look of your car. I am sure others will have ideas too. Good luck, tell us what you decided to do.

post-48480-143138211576_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Jukes,

In my '32, the aftermarket one te connections are thankfully not through the name plate, as so many were done. There is no water valve, so while it heats the inside all the time, it has an electric fan to circulate and louvers to direct the heat to some degree. Howvever it also alows for a bit more water capacity to prevent overheating if you radiator louvers do not work well.

If others do not provide, I can get you some photos of my connections to the water lines. But I have not yet had the car out this spring. Intend to do that later this week.

John

Guest jules greenway

John, thanks for that-I had not seen those Hose Nipples-neat idea which would save having to make metal Tee pieces.

I thought I would use an old restored heater, they seem to come up on Ebay quite regularly, but am hoping someone may have a photo of an original installation?

Jules

Guest jules greenway

John, thanks some photos would be great if you could post them-I had wondered if a shut off valve was absolutely neccessary, I guess with the fan switched off there's not too much heat in the warmer weather (if we ever get any!)

Jules

Guest Fr Mike

Hi Jules!

I have an 1931 8-57, but the attached pix may be helpful. I restored a heater and found an NOS rheostat type switch and an NOS bronze summer/winter shutoff valve. This was a real fun project and gives a lot of satisfaction on chilly days here in N.E. Wisconsin. You can bake bread in the cabin now!

Edited by Fr Mike (see edit history)

Guest jules greenway

Fr Mike

Great pics thanks! that is just what I needed to see- your installation looks very neat. As you say a fun project, we did a family wedding in mid February and it was a bit chilly although a fair bit of heat comes thru from the engine, not least thru the two big holes left from a previous heater!

regards

Jules