65 Buick Wildcat Rag Joint & Bearing Replacement Help!

Guest BuickWildcat401

Guest BuickWildcat401

Hey Fellas Can Anyone Out There Give Me Some Advice?

I am replacing my leaking steering gearbox. I also want to replace the rag joint and retainer bearing on the steering column. But there is no pinch bolt or inside bolt holding the upper rag joint bracket to the column - I don't know how to remove it to rebuild it or remove the retainer bearing.

Do I have to go inside the passenger compartment to get to it from that end somehow?

Thanks,

Mike

mmanguno@hotmail.com

Guest BuickWildcat401

Thanks Greg but I have the rebuild kit for the rag joint already. How to get the upper rag joint bracket and the retainer bearing above that loose from the steering shaft is what I'm trying to find out.

Guest Adam4t

Uhmm, I can take a look tomorrow for you, I have the same year and model Buick. It's a bit dark right now so hopefully tomorrow if I get home early enough I'll take a look for you.

Guest BuickWildcat401

Kanter has no manual for that year / model. I have the shop manual and it shows the exploded view but nothing is shown regarding removal of the rag joint.

My 'cat is a 65 convertible with power steering and no tilt. There appears to be differences in the rag joint attachment between power steering, manual steering and tilt wheel.

I appreciate whatever assistance you fellas can provide. There is movement in the steering column when turning at an intersection and accelerating. The shaft feels loose - I believe it to be the retainer bearing above the rag joint. I want to replace both.