1922 Hupmobile 4 door sedan

Guest modeltman

Guest modeltman

I am a new owner of a 22 Hupmobile. My experience is with the Model T, not with Hupmobile. Can anyone tell me how the levers on the steering wheel work? I am assuming they are similar to the T, with the spark on the left and gas on the right...it also has a gas pedal on the floor. Also, I feel this is a dumb question, but where does one check the oil????? The oil pressure gauge is stuck on zero so I am not sure if it is a bad gauge or another issue. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

The shorter lever is the spark advance & retard. The longer lever is the throttle. If you have had it running and the oil pressure reads ZERO, DO NOT run the engine again before you check to see if the oil pump is primed. I have a 1924 Model R sedan that if it sets for some time without being started it looses the prime on the oil pump. Comming out of the side of the oil pan there is a 3/8 copper line running up to the rear of the engine by the distributer. Look for a plug with a square head that takes a 1/4 in. open end wench. Remove the plug and fill with engine oil to the top and reinstall the plug. You should have oil pressure now when you start the engine. As far as checking the oil level, on the passenger side of the engine you will see a metal rod about 1/8 in in dia. It looks like is sticking out of the top of the oil pan very close to engine block. Behind it there is a scale. The rod is attached to a cork float in the engine pan and where the rod stops at the highest point is the oil level. Now here is the problem, the cork float with time soaks up the oil and its hard to read. The best way to fix this problem is to drain out the oil and service it with 5 qts. of oil. Then check to see how far the rod comes up on the scale and mark it as Full. If there is more than 5 qts. of oil in a Model R, it will run like crap and smoke like you know what. I will be home in April and can send you some pic. to show you if you still have a problem.