Jefferson WI Swap Meet

poci1957

I might be going up there. Not 100% decided yet.

As far as what day to go, I believe we usually go on Sunday when they have the car show, car corral and swap meet. I have never been there on Fri, but I do not think there will be huge amounts of stuff that you have to get there early on Fri for. It is mostly aftermarket stuff and some junkyard parts. The only thing I would say is to get there early because even though it is supposed to go until 4:00 pm, there are always lots of people packing up at 1:00 pm. Even earlier if the weather is bad.

I don't know if you have been there recently or what you are looking for, but they mostly have things like floor mats, tools, electrical connectors, aftermarket parts, etc. I have bought a few model cars and brochures there also. The parts are mostly junkyard parts or repros for more common cars like 55-57 Chevys, Mustangs, and Camaros. They don't have much for cars like Lincolns, Packards, or Imperials. I don't see any real reason to get there an hour before opening on day 1, but would recommend getting there early regardless of the day due to the fact that they pack up early.

I could be out of touch with the parts scene as well as my car needs only a small handful of interior parts in Givenchy specific aqua. It seems the only way to get those is by stealing them off someone elses Givenchy. Which is why mine is always locked at a car show.

Guest Fr Mike

Hi poci1957!

For whatever it may be worth, a friend and I always try to go to Spring Jefferson every year. The swap meet is humongeous and we like to try to cover it. We live in Green Bay and usually start down in the wee, small hours on Friday, so as to arive for the swap meet early in the day. We, too, are more interested in the swap meet than the other stuff, and by going on Friday miss the larger weekend crowd. We have also learned that most of the venders are there on Friday. We head for home by about 6PM. Another thing is that motel reservations are virtualy imposible to get anywhere near Jefferson, as they are booked way ahead.

Guest Fr Mike

Todd,

Was an asistant priest in Decatur years ago when I was in my twenties. Am in my 80's now, so I imagine there have been a few changes. Arrived in a '47 Dodge fluid drive and traded for a new '55 Plymouth at Bill Starr's dealership.

Todd,

Was an asistant priest in Decatur years ago when I was in my twenties. Am in my 80's now, so I imagine there have been a few changes. Arrived in a '47 Dodge fluid drive and traded for a new '55 Plymouth at Bill Starr's dealership.

WOW that was a while ago, I guess! Just a few little memories for you:

The modern edition of El Bauer Chevrolet (two owners later) is still by far the biggest dealer in town, in their large facility on Pershing Rd. The old Chevy and Cadillac dealer buildings on Eldorado St became the area vocational tech school in the 1970s.

Tallman Cadillac moved to Oakland Ave in the late 1960s and the family ran the business until about 5 years ago, when they sold out to a new owner that merged them with the Buick dealer who had moved to Forsyth in the 1970s (Forsyth became the location of Decatur's only big suburban mall in 1978, promptly clearing out downtown).

St Patrick's is still in the big, beautiful church on Eldorado St.

Thanks for the Jefferson tips! Todd

I was a vendor there for 16 years,stopped going 3 years ago.I highly recommend being there Friday and skipping Sunday.The swap has changed a lot over the past years but there are still many opportunities to buy good stuff plus make connections with vendors who dont bring all their parts with them.I had 3 spaces and brought only 10% of what I had in inventory.You will have to hunt for the best items but to me thats the fun part.Friday will be packed Saturday is packed twice as much.Most vendors start leaving at noon on Sunday and quite a few have found(like I did)that the sales on Sunday didnt justify the effort to vend.Last word...be prepared for any type of weather.One year it was 10 degrees with a 30mph wind from the north!

Hello Fr Mike, exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I am a regular at Iola and went to spring Jefferson once over ten years ago, so I was looking to confirm the latest habits. Thanks, Todd

I'd say there is no comparison between Iola and Jefferson. Iola is way bigger. For Jefferson we usually drive up early, which takes a couple hours, look at everything, stop at a nearby junkyard, and still make it home in time for dinner. Can't do that with Iola.