1932 buick help

Guest dodge_38

Guest dodge_38

I am workin on a 1932 buick series 50 and i am doin the brakes. I am wondering where i can get the seal on the rear axle that i believe seals up the bearing on the brake drum. also wondering what would be best way to fix the seals that keep the dirt and grim out of the pivit shaft that applys the brake shoes thanks

eddie

Eddie,

I am sure if you are doing a first restoration you will find lots of dirt and grime on the underside of your car. But with modern paved roads and the minimal driving you will do in bad weather, I wouldn't worry about the brake pivot points. I use motorcycle chain lube in as spray can to keep mine lubed. Felt seals can be ordered from Olsen's Gaskets, and if you go with modern lip seals, any local bearing supply or automotive supply house should have them in stock. Just take good ID and OD measurements with you so they can identify what you need.

Welcome To Olson's Gaskets!

I put "speedysleeves" on my axles and lip seal in place of the original felt seals. I got my at an industrial power transmission supply company.

On the brake pivot piece, I just wrapped a piece of waterpump packing around the shaft. I agree with Mark, this point is not critical.

Bob

Guest dodge_38

i've worked on older cars and brakes for sometime but this is first one i have done that has micanical brakes on it and the guy wants it lookin original so i figured i do some checkin cause someone has been in on one side and lost pieces and not put other piece back in so i figured i make sure that whatever i end up doin on the stuff it be ok.

eddie