It was bound to happen (Accident)

Guest vicsik1969

Guest vicsik1969

With 12 family members visiting my house for Thanksgiving, my father asked me to drive him to the store. What a great opportunity to show him how my TC had progressed. After replacing the entire suspension, the car elicited this comment from my father, "wow, this car rides like new".

Five minutes later, while turning into a restaurant for a bite to eat, I'm rear ended by a 1971 Ford Pickup. Low speed, limited damage but I still need to repair. The driver of the pickup was a general contractor and asked if I would allow his friends that own a body shop to do the work as opposed to insurance. I think I'm fine with this but will probably have to assist in getting them the following parts: the reflector on the trunk, right complete reverse lamp, and (probably) the urethane covering for the back of the bumper.

Pictures are below, comments or PM are welcomed.

post-54335-143138144948_thumb.jpg

Guest My TC Toy

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. These things happen. Just a word of caution about letting him use his friends body shop- check out the shop. Some of these "body shops" are poor excuses in which to have work done. I'm not suggesting that he is trying to scam you, just get all the info before making a decission. After all you want the car back in the same condition as it was before the accident, color and fit!

Good luck, Bob.

Edited by My TC Toy (see edit history)

Guest vicsik1969

Part of my reason for posting this to the forum is to see if other members who have suffered fender benders would recommend dent repair or trying to get a trunk from someone parting out a TC or experiences others have had in bumper repair or reverse lamp replacement.

Guest My TC Toy

It's hard to see exactly how much damage was done in the picture. A good body shop could pull out the dents and refinish the entire panel. When done properly, a repair will last the life of the car. Sometimes it may work out to be cheaper to replace the panel with a used one, but finding the panel may be problamatic. The more critical item, in my mind, is making sure the paint on the new panel matches the old or it will look like you had a repair.

That sucks! sorry to hear of your accident.If I can interject my opinion based on 2 prior experiences with peoples "friends",do your self a favor and find the best body shop in your area by reputation.Often shops that specialize in europen cars tend to work to a higher standard but this is not an absolute.I would personally get my insurance company involved because then you will at least have a future guaranty of work quality...and the accident wasnt your fault and it is your car and you dont owe mr. ford pickup anything.

Best of luck.If you lived closer I would hook you up with my spare lower rear valance assembly.

Guest d_voitel

Word of caution, If this guy wants to have you go to his friends body shop, he might be doing this because he doesn't have auto insurance and would prefer to pay out of pocket. I agree with the posts above; first, go to a high end body shop, second, report the accident to your insurance company. I perceive there's somthing hinky with this individual wanting to stay away from the insurance. Be careful, and good luck.

Not knowing how the insurance system works in your area but I know that If I was in the wrong I would want to leave my insurance out of it all and pay out of pocket up to at least 1k.

The rates increase at a criminal rate here once a claim is made. That point may be moot though. Was there a incident report made with the police? If so his insurance will get wind of it and it will not matter.

Personally I would make sure you have in writing an admission to fault and a satisfaction guarantee of the repair otherwise you should just go the full legal route of insurance.

Guest vicsik1969

I received an estimate for one of the replacement parts from Doc as well as some PM from other members for some other parts. I'm tryin to make a list of costs, w/o labor, for the individual.

As far as the insurance, I'm afraid of the hike if I claim it on my insurance and suspect he actually didn't have insurance.

I'm trying to make lemonade out of the situation with the thought that the next (and maybe last thing) for my car was a complete repaint. The paint is old enough that its flaking off in spots (oddly not on the weather exposed side but places like the inside of the trunklid, inside the engine compartment, etc. No rust, just primer exposed. Anyway, the lemonade would be to have him pay for the parts damaged and perhaps a portion of the repaint from a reputable shop that I've already visited.

Unfortunately, a business trip to DC has me at a pause right now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vicsik1969

Here are some close up pix of the damage.

I took it to the body shop and the only part I REALLY need before they can start work is the passenger side reverse lamp (see pic).

I'm having the whole car stripped, sandblasted, and repainted as part of the repair. This includes taking care of door dings and other little marks.

*If* I receive any payment from the person who rear ended me, it will cover about 25% of the total bill.

post-54335-143138154757_thumb.jpg

post-54335-143138154762_thumb.jpg

post-54335-143138154768_thumb.jpg

post-54335-143138154773_thumb.jpg