whippet engine vibration

Guest bills

Help.

A friend has a 1927 Willys Whippet 4 cylinder.He had the engine rebuilt, rebore new pistons, crank ground and new white metal bearings.

after this it idled smoothly, but when revved the whole front of the car vibrated. He stripped the engine and had the rods crankshaft and flywheel balanced.

Apparently there was a problem with the mounting of the flywheel. sometime in the past it must have been reground and the result was that the flywheel mounting was out of true?. (not sure quite what I mean here). The guy who balanced it said he had compensated for it with the balancing.!

Having reassembled it there is some improvement but still not good.

I should be very grareful for any ideas.

An american car enthusiast in the UK has told me that the engine of the 4 cylinder whippet had a reputation for not being very smooth. Is that correct?.

There is an alternative to instal a Jeep engine. Does anyone know if it will slot straight in. Will the clutch and bellhousing go straight onto the jeep engine, is the clutch release mechanism compatible?

Glad its not my problem, but if we can help that would be good.

The motor mounts differ between the two engines. The Jeep used 2 at the front and one at the transmission, whereas the Whippet used 4, all at the engine I believe. I think the rear two are part of the block so I'm not sure a swap is possible. I've seen a Jeep swap into an early 30s Willys but I haven't heard of anyone doing the same in a 20s era Willys.