can't get soft top to lock down in rear

dfeigin

Hi-

I acquired at 1990 W/B/B TC this week. Everything is great, except I can't get the soft top to lock down in the back. The pins do not click when pressed down in the rear, regardless of how many times I push the TOP button up / down, in order to position things properly. Any advice?

Also, as an academic matter, reading the instructions for removing the hard top, unlocking the 'side latches' is required, but I can't find any side latches, only the latches in the front......... Were there / are there any side latches ?

Thanks-

-David

90 was the transition away from the side latches, you're not going to have them and be thankful for it:cool:

Do you hear the pull down motor working when you hit the 'top' switch ? Also regardless of what the manual says NEVERNEVERNEVER latch the front latches first then expect the pull down motor to latch the rear pins. Do the rears first with the top gently resting on the header (but not latched right?) There is a manual pulldown assmebly accessed through the trunk that uses your factory lug wrench (or a 19mm socket is better) to pull down the top pins. It is important to make sure the pins are pressed down inot the holes before you hit the 'top' switch to the down postion, otherwise the latches wont grab the pins.

Ih yeah, one more thing NEVER latch the front first;)

Alan

Guest My TC Toy

Congrats on your TC anw welcome to the tread.

The side latches, if equipped, are located directly dehind the doors at the base of the hard top. They engage directly in front of the tonneau cover. Later models did not have them.

If you cannot engage the rear pins there could be two things wrong. First check that the pull down motor is physically engaged to the locking assembly. Use your lug wrench or a 3/4" socket to rotate the locking mechanism behind the small flap in the centre of the panel in the rear of the trunk. If it clicks it was not engaged. If this does not correct the problem chances are your pull down case is damaged. They are readily avaliable, fairly cheaply. To get access you will have to remove the five nuts that attach the mecanism in the rear of the tonneau area. If you look aththe plastic case you will fairly readily see that it is cracked.

Good luck.

Bob

Thanks Alan and Bob. I unlatched the front latches (not following directions in manual) as Alan suggested, and then the rear pins engaged easily, and the top locked-down. This is quite a relief. Most everything is now working. Car is a pleasure to drive, and I can understand why many people are enjoying them. Thanks again. - David