1938 Buick Fuel gauge (or lack thereof)

Guest northern wayne

Guest northern wayne

OK, one winter project will be to fix the fuel gauge on my 38 Special (also on my 57 Roadmaster).

On the 38 the needle rests just over 1/4 tank, moves a bit if I flick it with my finger. Any suggestions where to start? If I get back as far as the tank is there a source for floats etc?

Thank you for any suggestions from out there

Wayne, you should be in the shower getting ready for the big club dinner tonight.

See you there and we can compare notes on fuel senders/ gauges and repair parts.

If it is stuck on or around a 1/4 with the ignition on or off?

If it jumps up to the 1/4 point the float arm may be jams at that point, or maybe the gauge arm is jambing.

Sounds like it is getting power but either the guage arm or the float arm can't make the full swing.

I think if there is no power or no ground the needle will either be 'dead' or will flip right up to the top pin, which in eithr case signals an electrical problem.

The float is just a rheostat that changes the current ( I think) as the float arm moves, which in turn pulls the guage needle higher up the scale.

Pretty basic, and chances are you can get it working with a general cleaning.

Guest buicks39

a buddy of mine had to have his sending unit rebuilt in his 38.he did try changing the cork float with no luck,however it may be worth a try for your car.bobs automobilia parts or kanter may have what you need.

Guest OLBUICKS

I put a new sending unit in froms Bob;s works good... The float got hung on the pick up tube when I installed the unit in the tank, you have to put in in there and turn it as you go, anyway I thought I really messed up after it was installed still reading empty with 7 gallons of gas, (these thanks do not come out very easy with the filler neck going up between the frame and body) not wanting to pull it back out I took a large rubber hammer and hit on the bottom of the tank and it broke lose. Works fine.

Guest OLBUICKS

It probally did come from Mac.. the guy that sold Mac tools in the 70s when I bought it was a WW2 B 17 pilot... A very nice guy.. He has since passed on.. God Bless all the WW2 Vets.