Another 1930 Buick Question...

michaelod

Hello everyone,

A recent question from Dwight about the construction of the rear window area of his car brought to mind an additional question I have in that same general area. I have a 1930 Buick model 68 5-window coupe that is missing much of its interior. Although I believe I have most of the garnish mouldings around the windows, I am missing the armrests in the rear seat and don't really know what they look like. From what I can gather there is an attachment point between the body and edge of the seat cushion and shown in picture #1. Picture #2 shows what I think is the forward attachment point at what appears in the photo as a triangular metal bracket with a dogleg. Could someone post a photo of the actual armrest itself from the backside or minus upholstery so I can get an idea of what the part itself looks like and what I am missing.

Thanks for all your assistance,

Michael

post-63406-143138124848_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143138124851_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Dwight,

Thanks for the pictures of the armrests and the heads up on the Chevy armrest form. There must be some sort of metal mounts for the front and rear of the armrests that one needs to make the connection with the metal brackets in the car. Hopefully someone will be able to post a picture of what those look like as there is a probability that I may need to fabricate something due to the fact that mine are gone. It would be even better to locate some originals, but locating parts for this car thus far has been challenging at best.

My interior was totally stripped with the exception of some worn out replacement seat covers when I bought the car although most of the metal garnish mouldings had been saved by a previous owner. Apparently that person had intended to re-do the interior, but after ripping everything out gave up on the job. Nothing was saved for patterns. The armrests, handles, window cranks, light covers, and other miscellaneous pieces were lost as the car passed through several short term owners before I bought it.

Michael

Attached are photos of my rear arm rest mount. The metal on the armrest is 1"x1.5" with two countersunk screw holes, the piece that you see is 1.25" x 1.25". It is bent not quite to 90 degrees. When the point of the quarter circle enters the bracket on the quarter panel and you push down and back this angle draws the armrest tight to the quarter panel. There is no rear mount at all. The metal seems to be 1/16' thick.

The photos seem to be too large to post here. I will pm them to you.

Reid,

Thank you for describing how these armrests work and posting some photos of the back side. This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. Seems like it will be fairly easy to fabricate some mounts and apply them to the armrest forms that Lebaron Bonney has in stock for chevys, or just make my own if they are not close enough. While I have not done an automobile interior before, I have reupholstered about a zillion pieces of Victorian furniture, and am certain that I will have no real difficulty translating those skills to my 30 Buick. In reality upholstery is still a couple of years of as I still have mechanical and paint work to do first.

Michael O'Docharty

Buy yourself a Fisher Body Service Manual. Any year from 28-34) If you know how to run a sewing machine and read the manual a few times you can make an excellent interior for your Buick.

All of the Fisher Body Service Bulletins Vol1 1-16 and Vol2 1-20 are on line here.....

www.1929buick.com Photos :: Fisher Body Service Bulletin Vol1-Vol2 (1928-1929)

Upholstery is cover in this

Soon Ill have the an original Full Manual online. Very similar to all the Bulletins.

Upholstery would be covered in this as well.

Here is a 1929 Fisher Body manual (PDF also available)

www.1929buick.com Photos :: Fisher Body Manual

Upholstery May not be covered it this.

I have a 1930 Buick & Marquette that Ill soon be putting up.

Maybe those will help you get an idea.

Kevin

Edited by kevin (see edit history)