cyl head ID?

Packard8

Hi Folks,

I am trying to identify the application and compression ratio of a straight 8 cylinder head P/N 455139. It is not listed in my 1951-54 parts catalog nor does it have any ID (such as 288, 327, AT, STD etc) cast into the head, any ideas?

Thanks

Guest John_Lawrence

Packard8, there is a specification table for the 1935-54 monoblock 8-cylinder engines in the September issue of the Packard Club's Cormorant News Bulletin. The table is also available on the packardinfo.com site. For the 1951-54 engines, only 1952s had standard and high compression cylinder heads listed. All the other years show only standard compression ratio heads.

Thanks John, I'll check out that article. There are dozens of heads listed in the 1948-54 parts list with the model application and C/R, (even a few oddballs for export use) but not the one I mentioned. If necessary, I will cc the volume and compare it to others I have with a known C/R.

Guest John_Lawrence

Packard8, I should have said that in 1951-54 period, only 1952 had high and standard compression ration cylinder heads listed.

Packard8, I should have said that in 1951-54 period, only 1952 had high and standard compression ration cylinder heads listed.

Hi John,

I looked on the packardinfo.com site and did not find the table you mentioned. Could you possibly post a link?

thanks

there some more information

year engine Comp Ratio volume

1948 -51 288 7 41.14

late 52 7.5 38.40

53 7.7 37.40

stock 356 7 50.86

1948-51 8.7 41.14

late 52 9.3 38.40

53 9.5 37.40

sorry about the lost formatting.

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll need to cc the mystery head and compare it to other known ones I can measure.