Radion Antenna

Guest {TC}DH

While driving home last night from school I noticed the radio giving me static that was just unbearable. So when I get home, I went to get my books out of the trunk and decided to check out the antenna. Now when I bought my tc the motor for the antenna didnt always work, but it didnt seem like a big deal. Well now, the thin metal cassing of the antenna wont recede into the car, and i believe the antenna its self has fallin out of the housing for it and is resting somewhere in the frame. Any ideas on how to fix this or should I just replace the entire antenna assembly or go with a more modern antenna?:(

Guest My TC Toy

First, before you do anything else, wrap a rag around the base of the antenna and run penetrating oil down over th mast. It could be that the mast is dry and packed with grit thereby causing too much resistance for the motor to operate. Have a friend help you, and, using a small pair of pliers take hold to the top ball of the antenna and assist the motor by pulling up on the mast when turning the radio on and down on the mast when truning the radio off. Caution is advised as you do not want to kink the mast. If the mast frees up clean it well with penetrating oil and finish off with a drop or two of oil. Dry the mast off and keep checking for a while for residual oil and clean off.

If this fails the antenna assembly can be removed rather easily. Simply let go the wiring connection, antenna support screw and cap nut on top of the fender. This unit is similar to Chrysler power antennas of the era.

Dis-assembly is fairly simple, if you give the unit a good look you will no doubt figure it out.

If the above suggestion is not successful it must be that the feeder for the mast has stripped a cog or two. I am not certain of the availability of the mast assembly in your area. It may be simpler, if this is the problem, to try to pick up a replacement.

If you do not want the expence or hassle of trying to repair/replace this unit you can install a universal antenna, readily available from you local parts store.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.

Edited by My TC Toy (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hamp1012

The original radio cassette/player was removed from my recently purchased '89 Chrysler TC and replaced with a Sanyo AM/FM Sterio player. When I replaced it with another original Chrysler AM/FM cassette player, the power antenna would not work. The antenna also did t work with the Sanyo Radio. Is there any method I could use to check the antenna to see if it works or not? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Guest My TC Toy

One suggestion would be that the replacemant radio does not have the contact to operate the antenna automatically on activation. To check the antenna supply a fused power source to one of the antenna leads. I do not have the car or a manual in front of me but it should be easy enough to figure out the wiring to the antenna.

Guest hamp1012

Thanks My TC Toy, will follow your suggestion. In the meantime I'm having problems finding a Square-tooth timing belt for my '89 TC, along with finding a lower radiator hose for same. Would the 1988 Dodge Daytona hoses be the same as the TC"s? Thanks again

hamp

Guest My TC Toy

I am not certain as mine is a V6. However, if yours is a turbo II I would assume they would be the same. Any parts depot should have listings for the TC and Daytona, and if they are the same, the numbers should match