New and needing help

Guest C. Dorsey

Guest C. Dorsey

I have recently acquired a 1940 110 Convertible and could use some detail information. I need to know what modern color of red (and code) is generally accepted for use on the Packard script that appears on the rear bumper. Additionally, were the "110" hood badges painted or enamel? Is there any information out there regarding the correct body panel and trim fasteners that were used? This is my first Packard and while it could be considered a very good driver, there are some small detail items that I would like to address. Thanks for all your help.

Guest C. Dorsey

Thanks West. Any ideas on information regarding what type of fasteners to use where. The car has a hodge podge of hardware store bolts and screws holding the body panels and interior trim together. Since I'm missing some, I would prefer to go ahead and replace as may as possible with something closer to correct.

Get one of the reprint parts books that cover the 35 - 41 cars, there is a hardware section that gives you the detailed specifications of all of the nuts, bolts, washers, etc. I think it is section 50. You will find a lot of specs there - most of the bolts had either no markings on the head or you will see some with small numbers like 30 - 37, or 2 B. These are not possible to find other than used. For a detailed restoration today we take modern bolts and put them in the lathe and cut the hardness markings off, then paint or plate them appropriately as original. It takes time to build up a supply of the original marked bolts to use in high end restorations, but if you look at a car and the bolts are all marked as they came from the hardware store, it doesn't look right. Some washers likewise aren't available and you will have to order something close and then put them in the lathe and make them the right size. If you need photos of correct original bolts, let me know. There are also some bolts with larger or thicker heads than typical modern hardware and you will have to hunt for those from the hardware companies.