1930 Model U Rumble seat roadster question?

Guest fordv840

Guest fordv840

Hi all,

Newbie to the group, just picked up the car mentioned above but don't know exactly what to call it? It didn't quite fall into any of the catagories I have seen for this car. It is a rumble seat roadster but does not have windows. someone told me there was another model that had windows? Anyway the car has been sitting for a while indoors and only,started and driven once a year. I plan to get it ship shape and enjoy. I have restored and owned many pre 1950 cars including a 48' and 49' Plymouth but never one this old or original. Anything I should pay special attention too on this one? I plan to, drain the fuel, change the fluids, check for loose stuff, etc. Thanks in advance!

If it is a '30-U, it should look like this. It is the "sport roadster". I drove this car a few times and the only thing that bothered me was a shuddering and noise when I backed down in gear. It has the cloth/rubber combo u-joint. I had no idea if they all did that or not. I cannot imagine that they would build it that way from the beginning.

post-37352-143138106235_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138106239_thumb.jpg

I have a 30U Sedan. With what I think could be the origanl fiber joints. I have no problem with them. In mid 30 Plymouth went to the cardan joint witch is what most every one eles uses.

Guest fordv840

Thanks for the replies, I have driven this car before and didn't notice any obscene vibrations. The brakes will be the first thing I check after the tune up! Haveing lost brakes on a muscle car before I know how important they are! I plan to enjoy the car and drive it as often as possible. I also plan to take it to a few shows here and there.

Chances are, your car does not have the same malady as the one I drove. I am fairly certain the driveshaft was out of balance. Yours looks like a really nice car, but we need larger photos to get the real view of it. I always recommend to adjust the brakes before bleeding. Welcome to this site.

What a sweet ride and thanks so much for those photos. That car sure looks ready to have fun in!! The one I drove belonged to some friends of mine (Ash and Norma Bishop) in San Diego, California. It was Norma's car. They used to let me drive that car and their 1931 Plymouth business coupe in parades and on tours around San Diego. You certainly will be enjoying the wind in your hair!