Exploded (view) Accumulator

Guest BarelyFit

Guest BarelyFit

I finally got around to taking an abrasive wheel to the old accumulator taken from my 89. It was chucked into a vice and took the wheel to the backside. I wore full face protection and welders gloves. It did let off quite a bit of pressure but nothing life threatening.

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

Edited by BarelyFit (see edit history)

Nice Job,Did you make that horizontal cut at the weld.? Would it now be possible to cut the bottom half vertically.? (some guys are never satisfied) Thanks again, Lou

Alan, I was not expecting any valves; because it's just a pressure push, not any pressure movement. I was expecting some kind of exotic diaphragm. lz

Guest BarelyFit

Yes the cut was mostly made on the seam. I did want to cut the bottom in half as well, but my abrasive wheel needs replacing. Not only is the housing on the accumulator thick it is fairly hard. I first attempted to drill a hole in the top to relieve the pressure, I got a small punch mark in the metal but barley made head way with the drill bit before it needed a trip to the Bit Dr. I just went with the wheel.

Guest BarelyFit

I was intrigued by the paint dots in the interior. I am wondering if they are QC checks? See the two green, one white and one purple dots on the diaphragm and retaining ring?

I am thinking of making the next cut just below the retaining ring. There does seem to me some kind of valve in the neck of the accumulator and I dont want to dislodge any parts. I think there must me a spring holding the valve shut twincam. We will know this weekend. Ill post more pics.

Edited by BarelyFit (see edit history)